Soundcraft Ghost vs. Mackie 8-bus

Discussion in 'Consoles / Control Surfaces' started by Marcus Black, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Marcus Black

Marcus Black Guest

Thinking of getting a Soundcraft Ghost mixer as a front end for my DAW. Any "Ghost"-users here?? Would be nice to get some user feedback on this, what it seems to me, great "affordable" mixer. I´ve used the Mackie 8-bus quite a lot in the ADAT-days, so that would be a good reference for me. How does it compare in your opinion ??

2. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

No contest.Ghost wins every time.Of course they'r a bit more money, but they also lack that 'gritty'edge that mackies seem to have...yeah yeah...i know this will fan the flames but i know of what i speak.had mackie.have ghost now..much better.The truth is...ive had yamaha mixers that sounded better than mackies.little ones.

3. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

I agree with Davedog that the Ghost is better than the Mackie. I don't know what you want to do or what your budget is but IMO none of the inexpensive mixers (Ghost included) are a great front end for anything. The best solution is to get some quality mic pres and eq's as front end, and use any cheepo mixer for monitoring & phone mixing. Good pre amps run at about 500 to 600 a channel. I recommend API, Neve clones, the new United Audio pres, things like that. It can get a bit pricey but as they say, spend your money once.... Fats
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tannoy, Dynaudio, Blue Sky, JBL, Earthworks, Westlake, NS 10's :D , Genelec, Hafler, KRK, and PMC
    Those are good. …………………….. Pick one.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. jazzgitter

jazzgitter Guest

I have a Mackie 24/8 and the biggest problems are lack of headroom (14db) and eq. We did some recordings using a Sytek and a Phoenix preamp skipping the Mackie and suddenly everything sounded big, open, clean, and professional.They made the Mackie sound like a toy. I've used an old A&H GL2000 and it sounded sweeter than the Mackie if that helps.