Stand-alone: Which one?

Discussion in 'Microphones (live or studio)' started by leaske, Dec 19, 2003.

1. leaske

leaske Guest

I know most of the people on this site prefer the DAW systems due to flexibility. And the avoidance of the stand-alone due to obsolescene.

My life situation steers me into the Stand-alone concept. I'm used to working in that environment.
    Being a professional in the fast pace world of automotive manufacturing who is on a computer 85% of the day, working 9-10 hr /day leaves me with no desire to sit at a computer at home all night. Plus having a young family leaves me with little time to accelerate the learning curve of a DAW.

I've utilized a Roland VS-880ex for the past 5 years and have learned alot. I have aquired many instruments, mic., processors and now feel it's time to move on to higher resolution.

My question / request for opinions from the Stand-aloners:
    Roland VS2480 vs Yamaha AW4416: Which one did you opt for and why; or did you find somthing else?

I know once I procure a system it will be obsolete in 5 years or less. I can live with that.

Any opinion would be much appreciated!

2. sammyg

sammyg Active Member

Have you checked out the latest hard disk recorders from Korg? I dont know about the States but they are kicking ass in Australia.

Touch screen, Better automated faders on the flagship model (100mm faders), analog compressors on each of the 8 ins, (you can expand the unit to 16 ins). Half decent fx. (just some of the features)

File sharing is a breeze too, check out the korg website. Its definately my recomendation. But its whatever woks for you i guess!

cheers,

sammyg

3. leaske

leaske Guest

sammyg,
    Thanks for the response.
    I haven't considered the Korg, I'll check it out.
    At this point I'm steering towards the Akai DPS24.

4. mike_levitt

mike_levitt Guest

I have a D16 XD. Very easy to use, sounds great, intuitive interface, very flexible.

$2000 - cheap!

I looked at everything before buying this, and nothing comes close in this price range. I'm very happy.

Check this out for more info:
    Korg recording forums

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed