1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X5!
    Dismiss Notice

STAND BACK! I'm about to hop the fence...

Discussion in 'Mixing & Song Critique' started by anonymous, Mar 13, 2002.

  1. anonymous

    anonymous Guests

    Feb 10, 2001
    I know, I know, Julian... I've been steadfastly declaring my intentions to stay on this side of the fence with my "vintage" Pro Tools set-up - but I think I just changed my mind.

    Issue #1: I ran the numbers. I can do the conversion with the trade in option (before June 30th) for only $5200. For me, this means trading one 888/24 for the 192 interface, and my Mix plus PCI cards for two new cards. For some reason I assumed it would be twice that much.

    Issue #2: File sizes: by using the new system at the same 24/44.1 for a while, I won't have any larger files than I have now. But I will have eight channels of better converters, as well as far more DSP on the cards. And I won't have to worry about using up specific types of DSP chips.

    Issue #3: Future compatability: eventually down the road, my current system won't work with the latest software,plug-ins etc. By taking adavantage of the generous trade-in terms now, I stave off eventual obsolescence for a while longer at a pretty decent price.

    Issue #4: Plug-in compatability. This is what I will be monitoring closely. I have a number of ongoing projects usingplug-insthat are still incompatable. So I will be watching closely before I pull the trigger - fortunately I've still got about 2.5 months before the deadline.

    Issue #5: Resale issues: I will be selling a couple of the vintage DSP farm cards that will no longer work in the new system. While their value is already compromised, the longer i wait, the less they will be worth.

    Other considerations: I'm choosing the 192 interface specifically because of it's expandability. Plus it has the equivalent of an ADAT bridge built in. Also better clocking, although for me that is not an issue because I have the Lucid Gen6x.

    So it looks like I will get a sizeable performance gain in converters and DSP even while still at 24/44.1 - plus I'm almost all set whenever I'm ready to jump to 96k or whatever - I'll just need to pick up another 8 channels of A/D which can be installed in my existing 192 box.

    While $5200 isn't exactly chump change, it may bump up a lot higher after 6/30. And it's nothing compared to my initial investment in ProTools gear. The only other hit will be whatever the plug-in upgrades are going to cost - I'm hoping they will be reasonable!

    Okay, let me back up and get a running start... :w:
  2. anonymous

    anonymous Guests

    Feb 10, 2001
    It occurs to me, concerning the 3rd party plug-in compatibility issue...

    I have no idea if Digi would be willing to do this or not, but if the 6/30 deadline gets near and certain keyplug-insare still not available, maybe we could negotiate with Digi that we could PAY FOR the upgrade swaps before June 30, but not actually implement them until theplug-insare availbale.

    It doesn't seem like that unreasonable an idea - after all, Digi would have our money in their pocket - it would just be a matter of delaying the actual swap. :p
  3. If I remember right Digi will give you a month to send in your hardware after sending the new stuff.
    Plugs should be good to go by the end of July one would think. Besides you've still got 3.5 months before you have to squeeze the trigger. We're on the same timetable...

    Personally, I'm just going to fall over the fence. Too much time in the aeron chair and not enough on the bikes!

    Greg Heimbecker
  4. anonymous

    anonymous Guests

    Feb 10, 2001
    What we need is a good splinter removal package for folks that have been on the fence for a long time!

  5. Kev

    Kev Well-Known Member

    Nov 13, 2001
    HD to LE compatibility.... I need it.
    OSX ? as this will influence the computer upgrade, I need to move off the 9600.
    The new Midi port and the Midi time-stamping which is yet to come.... PT6 ?

    As much as I would like the get off the fence - I just can't yet.
  6. mixfactory

    mixfactory Active Member

    Apr 22, 2001
    I know I am going over the fence in July/Aug, not through Digi but on the street(I have a D24 card and a Mix farm). I think around June Digi is going to get bombarded with everyone freaking out and ready to upgrade(kinda like the whole millenium thing). I think at that point, anyone caught outside with their TDM systems will feel it later on this year. I've been pricing the 192K boxes and so far the best price quote I got is $2700(that's with no extras). I think the street price will be around $2500. I still haven't got a quote for the extra analog outputs though. I know I am going to need (2)192K boxes with the full 16 analog outs each. Also I wil have to upgrade my trusty old B/W G3. And also the new Atto card. Whoosh!!! So much stuff!!!
  • AT5047

    The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice