Starting up...

Discussion in 'Microphones & Recording' started by Filipe, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Filipe

Filipe Active Member

Hi, I'm a percussionist who wants to start recording decent sounding drums/other instruments.
    What I currently have is a laptop (Toshiba A-300 1ID, with Vista 64bits) and a Pioneer 5.1 system.
    What I don't have is all the rest (audio interface, mics, etc).
    For the mics, the general idea I have is:
    Snare, toms: Shenneiser e604; MD421; beta 52; SM57
    Bass: AKG D112
    Hi-hats: AKG C 451
    Overheads: Oktava MK-012

For the rest, I'm clueless.
    The budget for everything is around €1500
    What do you suggest/recommend ?

Thanks.

2. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Member

Your microphone selection really Filiped me out! Sorry, I couldn't let that one go. Good choices. Not sure what you have both a Beta 52 & AKG D112? I'd rather have the 52 over the 112 for bass drum. For the hat microphone, make sure the microphone has a 10 DB or 20 DB internal capsule pad. You'll need it for that microphone being in such close proximity to the snare drum. The overheads are just fine. I really love the 421's on snare & toms, even bass drum. I've frequently used just those & AKG 414's on overheads. My favorite sound.

Well you'll need preamps & a computer interface. You may do well with the Presonus line of computer interfaces. They make a unit that has 8 decent microphone preamps to a FireWire output to the computer.

You're already in the pocket
    Ms. Remy Ann David

3. Filipe

Filipe Active Member

Thanks for answering and yes Filipe can be spelled Flip heh. So on the mics you suggest Bass drum - Shure Beta 52 ; Toms - Shenneiser MD421. The snare and hats I'm not quite sure.

On the interface, Presonus's stuff acts as audio card + mixing console ?
    This is the part that .. 'intrigues' me the most. My knowledge on this area is as good as Paris Hilton on mathematics.
    What should I be looking for, on a budget around 500€, an audio card with eight XLR entries? An audio card and a mixing console?
    What are the best quality/price prodcuts for this financial range?