Stereo Drum Bus Compressor/Limiter

Discussion in 'Compressors / Limiters (analog)' started by Recording Engineer, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Recording Engineer

Recording Engineer Active Member

So what compressor and/or limiter do you guys generally use on a stereo drum bus, regardless on the style of music?

Which for a more "budget" focus?
    Which when $$$$ is not much of a big concern?

2. lorenzo gerace

lorenzo gerace Active Member

Hi

When I was working at a major facility (as an assistant) around here I used to put an LA-2A accross the drums' bus, and on top of that an SSL bus compressor accross the stereo bus of the console: that worked wonders on my mixes, fattening and giving a really pleasing punch; for a more budget oriented purpose (...) try getting an Aphex Dominator or Compellor: they can be found for quite cheap on the used market, and still can do the trick for that task, be aware they're not "gentle" or transparent devices, they have a sound, which you may like or not.

Hope this helps

L.G.

3. e-cue

e-cue Active Member

Sony 800 G, Royer 121 (FRONT END) WITH HIGH GAIN PRE, or U 67 (maybe an 87)... into:

A design's MP-2 (or MP-1, A much newer best kept secret) for a 'tube' sound, an NTI pre for tighter R&B sound, A 1081 (into an LA2A) for a more mushey sound, A Sytek (or Neotek MIC MAX with the BROWN BURR OPTION) for a really great top end sound or an Avalon 737 (for an all in one pre).

Combinations are important so experiment. I didn't mention a mic pre I didn't own, (or one I don't recommend)....