Sterling Audio

Discussion in 'Microphones (live or studio)' started by cmkaco, Jun 7, 2006.

1. SeniorFedup

SeniorFedup Guest

A gc pal of mine at pro audio strayed me away from a blue bird mic i was looking to buy due to so much praise given to them in the budget mics thread in the pro audio gear section. He suggested i get a .......... Sterling Audio at the same price. It was truly nothing to look at compared to the blue bird. Eventualy after talking a while he introduced me to the mic i am currently considering buying . Being i was a junior broker for commodity trading in the past, i understand the aggresiveness a salesman can have to sell. However! I like to believe i trust the dude. He was telling me how his associate had his tlm 103 stolen! Probably by a thief. Anyhow, since gc emps can get big discounts on sterlings, he purchased an st69 tube mic. Later literally telling me that he is glad his tlm103 was stolen because he would have never purchased the st69. I kept hassling my pal as if he was a stranger to catch a bluff somewere and couldnt quite get one. The sterling st69 will run about 600$ compared to the tlm 103 for a grand$ . If what he is telling me is his true opinion then the name of a brand compared to a no name is about a 400$ difference. But being that i have read various forum based articles and reviews about them , some ppl still seem to bash sterling audio while many reviews of the st69 only complain of exclusivity dealerships. ( could be a paid off reviewer or two not really saying thier true cons) . Then again... My gc friend invited me for a mic testing .. Thats pretty confident on his part for Claiming the sterling st 69 being a no name quality mic

2. Davedog

Davedog Well-Known Member

I would have no problem plugging in a specific piece of gear that has been shown to fullfill its task without regard to the badging.

Senoir. At that $600 price-point I would be looking at many more mics than just that one for your needs. And who knows, It could be the real deal.

There are a lot of mics, IMHO, that are better for lead vocals than the TLM103. This is a mic that requires certain things to be great. A lot of people love them. A lot more do not. My use of one is limited so I cannot accurately claim to have all the answers concerning your friend's claims after his loss of his Neumann.

I also dont know how he used it and in what environment.

But, to compare two mic technologies on similar sources is to expect them to both be different at those prices.

An LDC that is tube driven compared to an LDC which is transformerless is as I said, two different animals with the same mother.

I would certainly expect them to be quite a bit different especially if there is quality of design and build involved.

And there might be the ONLY reason that one sounds better on a given source than the other.

3. jammster

jammster Active Member

Yeah, I made the mistake of buying a TLM 103 for vocals. Truth is its great at most anything BUT vocals. Its more of a sampling mic, or instrument mic. Don't get me wrong, I still like what the TLM 103 can do and I will keep it in my collection, just not right for vocals.

After all the reading I've done about vocals I would choose a Mojave Audio MA-200 over anything now!

But back to the topic at hand, Sterling audio is a brand made by Groove Tubes for Guitar Center. I really am not very happy with Guitar Center, I vow not to give them my money any more!

4. SeniorFedup

SeniorFedup Guest

I understand being the case about guitar center being a retailer. Blah blah your not the only one.
    These last few days i have been doing extensive research on microphones in the 800$ range. I have been looking at some microphones such as the avant cv12 which is a c12 wannabe, ( turns out its apex460, a telfunken m16 ablnd a marshall 390 or something) then i have been hearing about sterling being another filler mic set ( except for it having the specs by pittman which i take as credible design) . Or how all budget mics are harsh on the highs etc. The only mic i am sure about wanting to own would be a pearlman tm2 for 200 more.

On top of that, all my internet research is being done on an iphone!
    But rather than to bring woe to the table i will say that sterling audio brand st69 has had clout among some , and the avant c12 another chinese mic has been used to record taylor swifts vocals on her latest album.
    There i just made myself feel better about

5. Derrick111

Derrick111 Active Member

It's too bad Oktava isn't available cheap and easy anymore! Good things don't last :-(

6. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Well-Known Member

Not to mention half of what passes for Oktava these days is counterfeit.

7. rainsong23

rainsong23 Active Member

After reading this thread and a bunch of other stuff on the internet I am considering getting one of the ST mikes. I hear a lot of good things about the ST55. What I wonder is how are the ST59, 66, 77 different? I see on musicians friend that the price goes up. What I'm wondering is are they just better versions of the same mike, or are they designed for different purposes? I'd want something that would be good for vocals, but also if it's good on Accoustic guitar and djembes that would be great. Anyway, I keep reading that the 55 is great bang for the buck. Wondering if it's worth my while to spend more bucks? Do I need more bang? I'm not a professional, just hobby stuff for myself but want something pretty good, but probably don't want to spend more than $400. However the 55 is listed for $200. I'm currently using Garage Band on a MacBook Pro with a Motu 8-Pre interface. The 8-Pre has the built in 48 volt pre amps built in. These days I use an SM58 and sometimes even my D112 as I find it can be a bit more warm on my voice, but I'd like to try out a condenser, don't want to break the bank or my wife might want to break me, but don't want complete junk either. Any advice on the difference between the various ST mikes in the line would be much appreciated. I live in Korea and I have a feeling the stores might be unlikely to let me test stuff over here. I know I read that only Guitar Center can sell these but there are no Guitar Center at all over here. I wonder if can even find them. I might just have to order from musicians friend.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed