Strange random cracks on MXL770

Discussion in 'Microphones (live or studio)' started by yoshida, Feb 11, 2020.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. yoshida

yoshida Active Member

I use USBStreamer https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/usbstreamer-box
    Sorry, not Ethernet, but USB2.0

2020-02-13-18-04-43.png

Yes, LogicX records at 44.1K and sees 8 separate ADAT in/outs, 2 of them from D24.

2dvdhawk
    Like bouldersound, I'm wondering why you don't let the Firewire handle the data transfer.

2bouldersound
    I've bought 24D with the idea to connect it to my 24" old aluminim iMac (2009). They were produced at the same time. That seemed there is no problem. But, unfortunately
    it turned out that Firewire was UNCOMPATIBLE, because of type of Firewire bad chip in iMac. I was very upset and discussed issue with a tech guy from TC Electronic. Therefore, I installed FW interface into Win PC, until in 10 years (at last!) ADAT/USB interface was produced by miniDSP.

* Yes, in 2020 I need a modern setup.

** It seems we (you) found the source of problem:
    "If the samples were actually arriving from the interface at 48KHz, they would start overwriting unused samples in the buffer, just as we see in the clip."

2. yoshida

yoshida Active Member

The route is: [D24] ADAT Out -> ADAT In [miniDSP USBStreamer] USB -> USB iMac.

3. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    That's starting to sound like a classic 48k/44.1k mismatch, which was my first thought when seeing the waveform. It has happened to me when using ADAT or SPDIF connected hardware where the DAW couldn't "see" the hardware's sample rate and the DAW was set to 44.1 while the hardware was set to 48.

4. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Well-Known Member

That is very strange, since Firewire is an Apple invention and

I’ve heard that when fitting a Windows machine with a Firewire card the TI (Texas Instruments) chipset is most compatible with certain pro audio gear, but I’ve never heard of a Firewire equipped interface that wasn’t plug-n-play compatible with any iMac.

I have to be able to connect to a variety of customers’ computers and audio devices with different combinations of FW400, FW800, Thunderbolt, etc. and I’ve never had any issues with backward compatibility with any of them - using suitable cables and / or adapters.

5. yoshida

yoshida Active Member

dvdhawk
    Me too, untill I found out, that aluminium 2009 iMac in some series had chipset mismatch, due which Konnekt 24D was unable to work with iMac.
    Fortunately, 2009' iMac had had SPDIF, and I was able to connect 24D to Logic.

Long time ago I discovered RME and obtained Hammerfall + ADI8PRO. My idea was to synchronize Win/Mac comp's for the parallel work. But in that time there were NO ADAT device for iMac on the market, until miniDSP made beautiful cheap USB/ADAT bridge for everyone. Today, I stll want to integrate ancient Win based 2000 synth garem to a Logic environment for fun. It looks like everything is ready: Win PC + Hammerfall DSP <-> ADAT miniDSP <-> USB LogicX. But Konnekt is pretty nice piece of hardware for guitarist: real 1M input, 2 headphones outs, ADAT )

Thank you, guys, for HI Pro ears and eyes over there!
    Cheers!

kmetal likes this.
  • AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed