Summit Audio 2BA-221 Mic & Line Module

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by picturemaker, Feb 24, 2003.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. picturemaker

picturemaker Guest

Does anyone have any hands on experience with this new Mic Pre. I have been very impressed by the RNP and was just about to buy one when I was offered this Summit Audio unit for the same price($475). The two are apples to oranges but both sound very intriguing. The Summit is only a single channel as oppose to the RNP. Also the Summit is a tube mic pre. I am unsure whether that means a true tube based preamp or one of these solid state types with a tube circuit built on top. If anyone has any further insight I would appreciate it. :confused:

2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Picturemaker,
    Congratulations on a great purchase. I am confident that you will be very pleased with this piece of gear.

Here is a link to Summit.

http://www.summitaudio.com

This is some very cool gear. It is manufactured in the USA by folks who know how to drive a car. Some stuff is made in third world countries by folks who ride to the factory in a cart pulled by a water buffalo. Since we live in the USA you are free to draw your own conclusions. I love the knobs and the layout of this thing. It speaks of quality. … IMO it is going to be hard to find something better in the under $500 range. The Suggested list on these puppies is $695, so I would say you got a good deal. Well over the mandatory 30% discount I request whenever I make a purchase.

I went to the site and picked this up. It may be of some help.…………… Fats

“2BA-221 continuously variable impedance microphone preamp from Summit Audio. Featuring microphone level, line level, and Hi-Z instrument inputs, the 2BA-221 utilizes separate and individually controlled solid state input controls to mix the microphone input with the Hi-Z or line input into the variable vacuum tube output. Mix them together through the 12AX7A/ECC83 vacuum tube output or separately through individual solid state outputs. The 2BA-221 also features a stackable input design; multiple 2BA-221's can be linked together to form a modular mixing device with individual outs, inserts per channel, and a final vacuum tube gain stage. Its swept high pass filter, multiple simultaneous tube and solid state outputs, insert jack, and internal power supply makes the 2BA-221 a powerful tracking and mixing tool.”

FEATURES
    · Variable Mic input impedance from 100 ohms to 10K ohms
    · Variable Highpass Filter
    · Hi-Z Instrument, Line, and Mic Level Input
    · Hi-Z input and Mic input available simultaneously with separate gain controls
    · Separate solid state and tube outputs
    · Insert Jack
    · Stackable with more 2BA-221's
    · ½ Rack Size
    · 3 Year Warranty
    · XLR and ¼" outputs and inputs
    · Three variable, independent gain stages

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tannoy, Dynaudio, Blue Sky, JBL, Earthworks, Westlake, NS 10's :D , Genelec, Hafler, KRK, and PMC
    Those are good. …………………….. Pick one.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------