T47 DIY mic kit from microphone-parts.com

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Electronic Repair Modifications DIY' started by pcrecord, Jun 12, 2016.

1. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    I agree, the ISA sounds brighter but imho that is not necessarily my preferred choice. I'll explain my theory.

This is what I meant when I thought this mic sounded more natural through the FF800 and would take EQ better.

The ISA sounds altered (scooped as you nailed it) like an exciter was incorporated into the design. I'd rather have the option to "scoop" or add excitement via my EQ where needed.

Thus, the ISA would not be my choice for brighter upper mid sources. The ISA is limiting tracking uses for me which is why I prefer the FF800 in this comparison.

pcrecord likes this.
  2. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    That's cool man, that's kind of what I thought you were getting out in the original post. Particularly with your awesome mid range EQ's I could see where having a less "pre-eq" type sound to disk makes a whole lot of sense.

In all honesty he I think I'm in general a sucker for a scooped sound, and a lot of high-end. It's actually something I'm trying to address in your mixes, because I think I goose the top way too much especially on vocals. And snares. This ends up with some issues in mixing, and even worse issues in mastering.

pcrecord and audiokid like this.
  3. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    The ISAs are my best choice for quiet sources, for drums and guitars.
    I would usually chose one of my LA-610 for vocals, but if I do tests, the both sound different.
    So the ISA are wiser choice to keep it real and not trick people. I will also consider doing tests with the FF800...

As for the difference between the ISA Two and 428. I didn't scientificly compared them, but I get the impression the sounds very alike. Same headroom and clean power. I was lucky to find my 428 as a brand new unused demo in a store for 1k (CAD) and it's actually an older build than the ISA two I got...

And guys guess what ? I just received the parts for my second build (T12). I'll let you know how it turns out ;)

kmetal likes this.
  4. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    What's interesting here is I have never liked the FF800 preamps. They lack clarity and life in comparison to higher end preamps.

I suspect the reason I prefer the FF800 pre-amps in this comparison could be because the mic has bright attributes which the FF800 could be taming down or liking the most (less revealing).

Just a hunch. Thoughts?

5. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    The T47 actually produce less high frequencies than other mics I own (like the KSM 44 and a lot less then the StudioProject C1)

I guess in the sample I made, I didn't have problems with the HF of the ISA. To me the high-mids were more pronounced which got my voice to be a bit more nazal.

This is very tricky because there is many things at play when doing mic/preamps shootouts.
    The gain at which a preamp is set may change how it sounds and also the impedance (which cannot be set on the RME)
    Also the tone of my voice can be different at different times and I could have a different projection and/or intention. (I'm not doing this everyday)
    If I listen to my voice on the video, I don't really think there is too much high-mids.
    But the audio recording was recorded all with the FF800 and then I introduced the ISA.
    Maybe if I would have done it the otherway around the opinions would be different. We may have said the FF800 lacks clarity, because we got used to it before the comparaison...

Just some thoughts ;)

kmetal likes this.
  6. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    What you've done already has proven the T47 kit is a hell of a deal because they both sound good. Its a winner for voice-overs already and most likely a lot of other sources too. Keep going .

pcrecord likes this.
  7. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    +1. Absolutely.

Can't wait to hear what the others sound like. By the time a I actually heard the ff800 pres a few years ago, I've been reading for years how 'amazing' they were. By the time I heard them I felt they were a bit lackluster. But maybe my expectations were too high?

If nothing else this demo shows that the pre is as good as the mic that's plugged into it. The ISA sounds better than when I heard a 57 through it, which I thought sounded pretty damn good (solid and clean), and the ff800 pres sound leagues better than the other recording which was probably online somewhere.

In all honesty unless the test is for like matching components, or benchmarks, I don't think scientific approaches tell the whole story. I think a test like this that shows the gear used in typical everyday fashion, with similar gain levels really tells us what to expect in general.

Now if we were all in the same studio, hearing the same thing, maybe a little closer matching of things would matter, but with me on my phone, Chris in his studio, Ect Ect, I think this test is perfect.

I look forward to more of these from you Marco, and everyone else.

Some of the gear we use isn't possible to build, but I've been saying for a while now that I think there's a lot of namesake going on when we're talking about say 1,500$ for one Chanel of a design that is forty+ years old.

Microphone-parts obviously did their homework with the components they selected. This is a great thread.