Take the liquidmix challenge

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Imaginaryday, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Imaginaryday

Imaginaryday Active Member

This challenge provides ten different excerpts; each features a dry sample, followed by two processed samples, A and B. One of these is processed through the original vintage or classic hardware, the other through a Liquid Mix emulation of the same unit. The question is, ‘which is which?

I scored 70% correct but, my ears preferred the liquid mix (go figure).

Click for help files

2. I was surprised by how often I chose the Liquid Mix, though I suspect this "challenge" is a little skewed.

3. pman

pman Guest

Sweet I got 80 and i I liked the sound of the liquid mix 25% of the time
    wouldnt be getting one of those then

4. Imaginaryday

Imaginaryday Active Member

it could very well be.
    i've had liquidmix for three months and i love what it does for the money (paid $500.) The fact that i can run 32 mono track per session is sweet.

5. Halifaxsoundguy

Halifaxsoundguy Active Member

It made me feel like I had no Ears. I had trouble noticing the subtle changes in some of the examples. I need to buy Golden Ears (Effective but dryer than a popcorn fart)

6. TheFraz

TheFraz Active Member

I could hear a clear difference most of the time.
    Considering that none of them were too far off, its pretty surprising. but the guys behind th samples did not do a very could just compressing and EQing.
    I would need to hear either my self, or some one I know to be good with gear A/B the two before I would every consider it an appropriate comparison.

7. therecordingart

therecordingart Well-Known Member

80% right and preferred the real thing. That wasn't what I was hoping for. I was hoping I'd prefer the Liquid Mix to save myself a ton of money.

It looks like I'm going to have to save by switching to Geico.