1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X4!
    Dismiss Notice

Tascam Us-1800?

Discussion in 'Microphones (live or studio)' started by DrummerDan, Apr 13, 2011.

1. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

Asio4All is a stopgap measure really. It is no substitute for a properly written driver. Better to avoid Tascam altogether until you get to their "mastering" line of gear which is outside the purview of budget consideration.

2. jimmys69

jimmys69 Active Member

I have never had a single issue with my Tascam driver, nor have I heard of any problems other than working with Protools. It does not. I am curious exactly what the problems are that are being mentioned here. :confused:

3. x_25

x_25 Active Member

They worked perfectly on my laptop when it was running XP SP2, but on my desktop running 7 64bit and when I upgraded my laptop to SP3 things started having problems. On my laptop the ASIO time useage jumps between 10 and 100% constantly, causing the audio to cut in and out. On my desktop I had similar issues except it would just cut in and out randomly, then eventually get to a point where it was just crackling, at that point only a full reset will fix it.

4. TheJackAttack

Tascam drivers are buggy and rarely updated or rewritten. Some of the many errors they have been known to cause are:
    interface not recognized
    interface recognized but not accessible
    fluctuating size of usable buffer on a given computer
    lock up of DAW session after working for a short time
    immediate lock up of DAW session if record is enabled
    noise from the interface ADC or DAC
    failure to reacquire device when returning from background or screensaver

The list could go on. Tascam studio boards were once pretty common. I burnt my last one in 2000. Of course that was before interfaces and drivers but the customer service and quality was about the same. The ADAT recorders were better generally and there is a line of recorders today that ought to be outstanding given what they are marketed to and the claim to be mastering level but the basic Tascam gear remains the same. IMO of course. YMMV and dealer dock fees may apply. Incompatibility with a DAW because of how a driver reports the buffer settings is a preschool mistake for code writers.

5. jimmys69

jimmys69 Active Member

First off, I will say that the incompatibility with a DAW seems quite lame to me as well. Though, I have no complaints myself, as I use Cubase. That seems to be the basis for Tascam's interface integration.

"Tascam drivers are buggy and rarely updated or rewritten"

I realize your opinions of Tascam drivers in the past may be valid. Though, it seems a quite unfair for you to judge newer drivers based upon this. In my experiences of late, Tascam drivers have been 'absolutely' rock solid.

"failure to reacquire device when returning from background or screensaver"

Screensaver is something that should be disabled on any computer used for recording anyway.

"interface not recognized
    interface recognized but not accessible
    fluctuating size of usable buffer on a given computer
    lock up of DAW session after working for a short time
    immediate lock up of DAW session if record is enabled"

Never experienced any of these myself. Most issues with drivers can be attributed to setup error. Not necessarily an issue with the writing of them. A couple of these can be attributed to using another device on the same USB hub. A USB 2.0 interface needs to have it's own port.

"noise from the interface ADC or DAC"

Not IME. Today anyway.

In regards to x_25's issues, I had the same problems with my HP store bought computer. It came down to bloatware and other processes that were interfering with communication with the interface. 'Superfetch' was one of the offenders. Many processes need to be disabled on a retail PC that interfere with audio performance. Technically fluent users can go to Black Viper for more detailed performance mods. There are many things you can do to improve performance of any interface on any system. Here is a good site for basic optimization of your PC for audio recording with W7. Blaming the drivers of a newer device is typically not the issue. It is setting the computer up properly for recording. Yes, drivers for some interfaces and their drivers may perform better in a haphazard setup that involves internet access and a buttload of stupid stuff, but if you are serious about recording, there are steps that need to be taken to ensure proper function of your gear.

I recently upgraded to a self built i7 with OEM W7 OS. With a clean OS, I am able to have internet active and still run 40+tracks, using the Tascam US-1641, with more VST's than I can count, and record vocals with under 8ms of latency. Yes, the rig is responsible for enabling this, but the Tascam driver is not an issue as far as I can tell.

6. nick7200

nick7200 Active Member

I am looking into purchasing a Tascam US-1800 along with a new PC to run it. I have been looking at this barebones kit from Tiger Direct.............ASUS M4A88T-M Thermaltake Barebones Kit - ASUS M4A88T-M Mobo, AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE, CPU Cooler, Patriot (3x 4GB) 12GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB HDD, 24x DVDRW, Thermaltake V2 Mid Tower Case, 450W Power Supply at TigerDirect.com. Then plan on using Windows XP or Windows 7 depending on what will work best? Do you guys know if this pc will run the 1800, or which OS would be better to use?

Any help is appreciated.

7. johnnitterauer

johnnitterauer Active Member

I am new to this forum. I am having latency issues with my US 1800 and my laptop( Dell Latitude/Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8 Ghz processor/4 GB DDR2 RAM/ 160 GB 7200 RPM HD) I use Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 7 and have also tried Reaper with pretty much the same results. I think transfer speed between the Laptop and the US 1800 is the problem as the US 1800 acts as the dedicated sound card also. I was wondering if a dedicated PCMCIA USB would be faster at data transfer? The US 1800 uses ASIO so there is limited adjustments to buffers available. When I adjust to the lowest latency settings on the US 1800, my Laptop blue-screens. I have heard that some of the units were faulty from Tascam. I have a case number with Tascam and will call them sometime this week to see. Is there a more efficient way to inter phase these two devices? Oh yeah...ALL drivers for my Laptop AND the US 1800 AND my DAW are up to date.

8. TheJackAttack

First, the Tascam has very limited buffer control period. Second, which Dell model is it? Third, are just using the internal hard drive and no secondary drive for your audio? Also the internal drive on many laptops is a 5400rpm drive and that is definitely not sufficient for any laptop using a Ricoh chipset.

Now, why do you need the buffer as low as possible?!? The US1800 allows direct monitoring and that is what you should be using to layer tracks or overdub. You are just asking for trouble with non purpose built computers and cheap usb interfaces otherwise.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

9. johnnitterauer

Thanks for your fast response. The Laptop is a DELL E6400. It has a 7200 rpm HD. I do not use an external HD. I am getting wicked latency while recording vocals, or drums using several inputs. By direct monitoring, what do you mean?. I typically use the phones out in the front of the Tascam US 1800 for vocals and drum recording. I don't get any latency when using speakers while recording direct (keys/guitar etc.), but obviously when doing vocals or drum tracks, headphones are a necessary evil. Thanks again. I just wondered if a dedicated PCMCIA USB card would be any faster than the USB 2.0 port.

10. TheJackAttack

There is no advantage at all to low buffer settings if you are monitoring direct at the Tascam.

Using a usb express card will not help. Using an Express Card eSATA card with an eSATA 7200 rpm external drive will. Also, if you have not tweaked the crap out if your os then that can help too. Uninstalling all of Dells helper programs like power management, quickset, et alia will too.

11. TheJackAttack

I'm sitting here recording a classical string quartet concert on a 10 yo Dell D820 that has been upgraded and tweaked by me. It will run at 128 samples but I set it at 1024 on purpose. Or porpoise.

12. johnnitterauer

My Dell does have an esata usb port. You're saying that using it with an external esata drive will be quicker than using my internal 7200 rpm HD?

13. TheJackAttack

Yes.

You can't run a program/os and record audio to the same physical drive simultaneously. The drive head can't be in two places at once.

Doubling on the usb header is no good either as usb is a "dumb" protocol but your eSATA port should work.

14. johnnitterauer

7200 rpm eSATA external drive. OK. Any suggestions on GB size?
    Thanks

15. johnnitterauer

Dude...eSATA drive are not cheap are they?

16. x_25

x_25 Active Member

I have no problems recording right to the internal drive on my laptop with my US-1644, all 14 analog channels running at 24/86 with 12ms latency in and out (ASIO 4 ALL). The trick is to make sure you de-fragment regularly (this is important), then, any time you are going to record, go into msconfig (Start -> Run -> type "mscongif" and hit enter). I turn off all the non microsoft services and everything in the boot section. I have never had any problems doing this on a 2.3ghz Core 2 duo with 3gb of ram, so you should have no problem either. The blue screening sounds like either a defective product or driver conflict.

When doing recording overdubs, make sure to monitor through the hardware, not looping through the computer. Then there will be no monitor latency (though depending on how your program works, you may need to slide the new track over a bit to account for latency in the recording and playback, but not in the monitoring).

17. TheJackAttack

For projects I use no larger than 500gb drives. For storage after project is done I use 1.5-2 TB dtives.

18. TheJackAttack

This may or may not be true-especially when Asio4All is involved- but no responsible audio engineer or computer person is going to recommend recording to the primary drive...an internal secondary drive, sure. Also, even if it is true for this one person that is not a statistically relevant percentage of the "average" user.

As I stated before, I normally replace the DVD player with a secondary hard drive enclosure which for older computers I use as the cache drive or for newer computers I use a secondary internal audio drive.

Additionally, most laptops have motherboard routing deficiencies when compared to their desktop counterparts. The newest models are much better in this regards but Core 2 Duo motherboards despite being "newer" are generally not. The memory controller certainly is not newer and so one doesn't benefit from the improvements made for the i3/i5/i7 generation of motherboards.

19. johnnitterauer

I just got off Newegg. I have a SATA 7200 rpm drive that's not being used for much anymore so I bought an eSATA enclosure that includes the power supply and an eSATA cable. My Dell has an eSATA port so I'll give that a go. I hope it works out be cause the US 1800 is giving me a great sound. I used to use an EMU 0404 and the US 1800 sounds way better. Thanks. I'll let you know how it turns out. Really appreciate everything. Maybe I'll post some tunes when I'm finished. Until then, her's a cut from my last project. Fruit - YouTube Thanks Again.

20. TheJackAttack

FWIW that is a good route to go to "recycle" old or unused drives. When I'm not using Glyph drives I build my own with Vantec NexStar 3 enclosures-either 2.5" or 3.5". They have USB, firewire, and eSATA connecdtions on the bridge board so fairly universal. The same rpm rules apply as to internal drives.