1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X4!
    Dismiss Notice

The Amek M3000

Discussion in 'Consoles / Control Surfaces' started by Gette, Apr 27, 2013.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    Nothing will be as challenging as a certain german whom i even had to address in german! but, you are right it was fun and in the end, we all gained something. Nothing was ever personal, just proper vetting of a topic. I welcome questions, even the ones that question my statements or opinions. Its the only way to allow a group to gain from an experience. The real reason for starting this topic was not to create envy. I wanted the story of Amek to be known. So much is unknown about the company and little credit is given to GL in the audio industry as a whole. As some one who looks over schematics daily. I am telling you, the design of this desk is just incredible and i can see why so many had such strong positive remarks for it. That is why i am here, to honestly share the whole experience. the good, the bad, the ugly and the remarkable.

Joel

2. pan60

pan60 Active Member

Home Page:
    LOL i think it would be a big benefit to the forum Joel: )

great thread!

3. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    Ok Pan60, Will post images to the forum but will keep the images at full size on the dropbox for those who want to see the larger images.

Give me a day or so... needs to have some sort of order before i post it all.... smoke

Joel

4. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    I'm pretty sure I just threw up a little bit. facepalm

I'm glad that someone like yourself came to its rescue, though.

5. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    I know I need to upload some more pics to both the forum and the dropbox, just been a hectic day. :tongue:

6. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    No worries Joel, when you are ready!

thumb

7. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    To be honest, my mind is a wash of idea's. How can I make this thread be more then just a picture book? Aside from the console itself and gaining the insight into what it is and how it was made... What else does the forum want to know? IE: how to replace old DBX 202's with new variants, How to modify consoles that use the old type reed relays to use modern versions. this list could get long... Although most of this information could be found elsewhere, should it be restated here?

Dunno really, maybe a picture book with a little sideline talk About GL, NF and Amek maybe exactly what is needed, nothing more/nothing less.

8. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Max's thread was a few years lol. My guess Joel, this thread will be going for some time. Come back to it when ever you have something to add.

9. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

The picture book sounds like a nice idea. Being available for pertinent questions about specific build items is also a great idea.

On a side note.....several years ago when I first started the current studio (version 5 now!) I almost bought a pristine Angela for a very low number and kick myself everytime I think about not doing so. It was owned by a Pop/Rock music star at the time and he was extremely meticulous about taking care of his gear. The fellow that bought it took it to a small town and it sits in his private studio probably doing not much. Also a Langley designed board.

The latest I hear about Amek lines is they are (or have) built a broadcast board and it has been rebranded by Soundcraft.....Does this mean the end of this company? I'll look into it.

On another side, I almost always forget to include them in the BIG SEVEN discussions of the Consoles That Made Recording History. There are as many Ameks on famous records as the 'others'.

10. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

read that link i posted. Amek is owned by Harman ...

the Angela was built in response largley to the MCI 600 series.

11. pan60

pan60 Active Member

Home Page:
    I never realized Amek was now owned by Harman: O~ .
    But I gotta say I do love Audio Maintenance Ltd. work.

12. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    Harman International purchased Amek in 1993. They closed the doors on the brand in 2004. The Amek broadcast console BB100, that is now being produced under the Soundcraft Brand name, was due to a high demand for it's return.... Maybe they may get a clue and re-launch Amek. Or better yet, sell it to some one who believes in the brand and the products they had produced. ....

As far as the console is concerned, just waiting on a large order of cable.... will have some great pics of that spaghetti bowl! :cool:

Working on more images to share...

13. SSL Tech

SSL Tech Member

Hey Joel...

You'll have to take care of MY baby...:wink:

I'll give you a call later today. -Yesterday was swamped!

1 person likes this.
  14. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    Ok yes been real busy with the day job and honey do list...

I will get some new info up here as soon as i have some interesting to share, for now just waiting on parts.......

Joel

15. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    Here is a pic of the console in its original installed location at Amazon Studios. Pic is from philsbook.com which also offers a quick history of Amazon Studios.

Amazon003-1b.jpg

Right now just anxious to get to rewiring the frame. A large job, but a big start in the process of bringing her back to life. I am also going over every module to identify the "Missing" parts, that have been removed over the years. I will say, resourcing is going to be an interesting adventure.

A note: For those who are looking for the schematics of this console whom either own one or a module (to rack). The copies I have are very large and fragile, I have only found one location willing enough to scan them, however, the scans are of very poor quality. I need to find a flatbed scanner large enough to make good, readable copies.

Any ideas in the vegas area?

Joel

16. pan60

pan60 Active Member

Home Page:
    me want!

17. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    It is still a work in progress. Cabling is taking more time then I wanted it to. But when you can only work on it in free time outside the daily responsibilities and Family duties... Makes for slow progress, will get some pics up of Progress as it stands in a week or so... Once the cabling is down,,, the rest will be a joy and will come together quickly.....

18. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    I owe pics to the forum..... (yeah, I know, no real excuses) It's amazing how busy life becomes when you have plans....

19. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    Yeah,,, Progress has stopped due to a pending relocation in the next few weeks.... I do not want to assemble the beast just to turn around and do it again.

20. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    Well here we are some months later... Now the Fun begins. In truth I was working slow knowing I will be shortly relocating to a new location. I did not want to start and have to move the console in a partial state. It is allot easier to move this console in pieces and in the condition it was in. The frame was surprisingly light once the cage/bucket was removed.... However even with a huge amount the wire removed, it was an incredible beast to move... The console is now in the room it will live in for at least the next few yrs,, Cage is set up for rewire. however, will look at ways to lift it up further from the ground in the next few days. I will Try to stay deligent and updating this forum on progress, even if its only one wire installed....diddlydoo

here is the bucket exposing all her delicate parts

1240222_685056364855020_1307988440_n.jpg