1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X4!
    Dismiss Notice

The Amek M3000

Discussion in 'Consoles / Control Surfaces' started by Gette, Apr 27, 2013.

1. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    Indeed it does, and I sure do appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. I find it so cool that you have the first/prototype of only 8 ever made, and while it may just be a sentimental thing, I'm always pleased when I hear that a particular piece of gear has a history.

I have an engineer friend who has a pair of Telefunken ELA M251's ( with power supplies) that he bought from Capitol Records Studios in L.A. back in the mid 70's.( I can't believe they sold them)...

If you know the mic I'm talking about, the ELA had a gorgeous polished ivory-like finish, and sound indescribably gorgeous. Forgetting the warmth for just a second, the way it treats the top end is simply wonderful - incredibly silky, and with a clarity that is, well, the best I've ever heard, anyway - I've never heard another mic since that sounded like that mic, and I doubt highly that I ever will.

He has pictures on his studio wall of Frank Sinatra singing into one of them, ( maybe not the exact same mic, but it looked just like it, and it is possible that Old Blue Eyes did in fact sing into the very same mic).

He has another pic of him standing next to the head engineer of Capitol, shaking his hand while he (my buddy) holds one of the mics with the other hand... I think he got them for something ridiculous... $800 each comes to mind, or something completely and nauseatingly stupid like that... I know it made me want to puke when he told me. But, finding out the history of certain pieces always makes me appreciate them even more - as if the Telefunken ELA isn't appreciated and coveted just because of what it is to begin with, never mind who used it. LOL

The good news is that he's still using them. It would make me feel even sicker if I found out that he had them in some glass covered collector's case. ;)

Oh... and by the way... just for fun....the Bunnymen album you were referring to that was mixed on your Amek was "Ocean Rain", which was recorded at two studios, actually: Crescent Studio in Bath, Somerset, where foundational tracks were laid; and then at Amazon Studios in Liverpool, where additional tracks, including all vocals, were tracked on it. The album was mixed on your desk in late 1983. The album was released in early '84. ;)

d/

:)

2. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    Not problem always willing to answer questions. The console also came fully documented with schematics ( was told probably the only complete set in existence) as well as original advertisements and purchase orders. Amazon patch bay and connection lay-outs, etc. To include a letter to the owner by a previous employee of Amazon studios explaining the console and what was changed.

I am always interested in knowing who or whom may have recorded on my console. its history as I know it

1977(8) - 1986 Amanzon Studios, UK

1986 - 1992 Unkown, only thing for sure was it was sold to Larking, when contacted, does not recollect the console.

1992 - 1996 ACME Recording Studios Chicago, ILL ( have seen a pic the studio with this console in it floating around, just wish i remembered were i found it)

1996 - 2013 Norwegian Wood Studios Las Vegas, NV

2013 - present ME!!! lol

Thank you for the info on the Bunny men, curious as to how you knew the history?

- Joel

bigtree likes this.
  3. DonnyThompson

Home Page:
    "Thank you for the info on the Bunny men, curious as to how you knew the history?"

Because I am a rock history God. LOL

And if you believe that one, I got a bridge for sale... ;)

Actually, I do dig modern music history, both from the artistic sense as well as the technical end. I read and research a lot, talk to people who were involved, all with the idea that I think it can be important to know stuff like that, because many times I can apply the knowledge to a particular artistic/technical scenario.

I am voracious with books like Geoff Emerick's personal diary of recording The Beatles - Here, There And Everywhere, along with numerous online articles that talk about the history of a certain album or song.

Yeah... I'm pretty weird that way. :)

4. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    Did not get much done last night, around another 18 lines tied in. Ran out of pre cut heat shrink, so called it night. Nothing more de motivating then looking at spools of heat shrink and thinking, I need to cut a few hundred half inch pieces….. But none the less, something was done…

DonnyThompson, nothing weird about being who you are.

5. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    Well studio call and other responsibilities got in my way today,,, this is becoming more like a diary then a build thread!

6. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    I am back at it…..

kmetal likes this.
  7. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    Well, the channels are complete, Pre and Post inserts, Multi-track bus, and Returns, Lines 1 & 2 and mic lines. All that is left is the master section (Stereo insert, aux's and aux returns) and of course, outboard gear tie lines.

I can not wire up the panel that sits below the Patch bay (XLR outs and ins,Power, IE: Mon, Stereo bus out, Alt Stereo input etc) till I flip the console…. The panels will not fit from the back and will have to be slide in place from the rear first….. Trust me would be allot easer if i could just place them on a table in front of the console then bolt them in.. But, I guess this is why not many people fully rewire a console….o_O

Anyway, almost there! :whistle:
    10262192_844928232201165_433392053671778920_n.jpg

kmetal and bigtree like this.
  8. DonnyThompson

Home Page:
    Outstanding!

9. jo

jo Active Member

Home Page:
    crazy

in a good way ;)

10. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    Have a few guys coming over this Saturday..... Time to put the console back onto its stand!!!!!!!! for the first time since Sept of last year....
    :ROFLMAO::)(y):whistle:;):cool::eek:o_O

DonnyAir and kmetal like this.
  11. DonnyThompson

Home Page:
    That's awesome. We want pictures!!!

Gette likes this.
  12. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    Pics will be taken and shared... If anything, have to show it off, right!?

13. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    A little pic
    10426552_849035685123753_4508217679859351791_n.jpg

14. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    another pic, working on metering etc, hence light on the back corner...

Getting closer to first power up and check and of course the "blue" glow from the new meter LED's
    10305030_849149928445662_1749214593742093136_n.jpg

kmetal likes this.
  15. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    First 16 meters, blue LED test, using 9 volts. Supply is 12v, so it will be brighter. The glass that covers the meters, is tented. So, when it is all completed, it should look light a deep blue, but still be bright enough to actually see the meter.
    image.jpg

kmetal likes this.
  16. DonnyThompson

Home Page:
    sonovabitch that's purty!! :)

Nice work! C'mon! Get those strips and mods in and let's track!!!!!!

17. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    DonnyThompson - Trust me, I wanted to just start loading modules and go go go go go go go. :ROFLMAO:

However, the channels need to be gone thru one at a time (re-cap, fix cabling from interconnections on the PCB, etc) and not to mention, someone had soldered the edge cards. So that will have to be removed and re-gold plated.

To be honest, I am just very happy to be viewing this beast from the top and not staring at the bottom of it anymore. The work that remains, is far more enjoyable and is motivating in and of itself. Should not take very long to go from this point to passing audio.

18. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    awsomeness man, really really cool!

19. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    Thanks guys for the positive reinforcement.

I tried posting these last night, but for what ever reason the website would not load.

Here it is fully dressed in blue.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

20. DonnyThompson

Home Page:
    that sure is purty!!

Gette likes this.