1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X4!
    Dismiss Notice

The Amek M3000

Discussion in 'Consoles / Control Surfaces' started by Gette, Apr 27, 2013.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    Nothing new, just finishing odds and ends on the frame before moving over to the modules. The Blue LEDS did work out well. Kinda of one of those things that you never really know until you just do it. When the glass is put in place, it will darken the brightness a bit and bring out a deeper blue.... Already tested that and sexy it is.... :)

kmetal likes this.
  2. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    I like it. As long as all those LED's don't end up hypnotizing you into Amek submission...LOL "Yessss, my Queen, My Preciousssssss." LOL ;)

Gette likes this.
  3. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    I am already hypnotized and under spell... How much money, time have I given her... Lol. Happy the wife likes her, or I would really be in trouble...

4. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    Progress. The time is getting closer.....
    image.jpg

kmetal likes this.
  5. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Oh man, you must be getting excited!

Sent from my iPhone

Gette likes this.
  6. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    Yup, very....

7. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    Just a teaser... Yes, I have been busy. Will do a full right up and post more pics before weekend is over... I am sure you can tell by the pic what is next... The dog (Mushu) is assisting with the final inspection under the console image.jpg

kmetal likes this.
  8. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    oooohhheee that looks good.

9. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Joel, it must be very rewarding doing this, but not just for the technical. I can imagine how helpful this would be for anyone interested in audio. I mean, seeing how something like this is made, all that makes audio become what it is! Its a beautiful experience to say the least, something that doesn't come by often. We've said it before but hey... Thanks for sharing this with us.

Mic in, :love:

kmetal likes this.
  10. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    Here is another pic. Master section installed and tested. Of course there will be issues with the modules. Next few days will be focused on getting the master section back up and running perfectly. It does pass audio, the vca subgroups work with exception to #4&8. Easy issues to work through. I am also seeing artifacts in the stereo summing bus that needs attention. The control monitor output is down 12 db from the studio output (could simply be some caps). Anyway, I am so exited to be working on the true guts of this amazing piece of gear versus just the infrastructure! Will keep everyone posted image.jpg

11. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    sonovabitch that's purty. ;)

Gette likes this.
  12. jo

jo Active Member

Home Page:
    love the LEDs :D

Gette likes this.
  13. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    A true work of art.

Gette likes this.
  14. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    Thanks for the compliments guys.

Just working through some of the ghosts still in the master section. Was able to rebuild the summing amps and output drivers in the master section back up to spec... well a little beyond actually...:D

The console sounds incredible with what I have been able to pass through it. However, I am having some logic issues as it relates to the VCA's and console "mode" switching/relay issues... So yes, still focused on the master section for now.

I do have one input channel loaded to verify summing etc. I will say, the EQ on this thing is indescribable...WOW...

... Still moving forward.

15. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    Hmmmmm.... image.jpg

kmetal likes this.
  16. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    From Soundscape to this, nice going man. Looks really beautiful.

Gette likes this.
  17. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    Well, I started it, ran signal and faded of into a moment of bliss... Then reality kicked in... As with all things electronic, before repairing anything, you must first assess what is wrong with it. Otherwise all the work you do,,,, may in the end not fix the original problem. When I first got the console, i was not in a position to be able to listen to the console and establish a "repair list" for each module. Well, I have one now. There obvious things that I fixed prior to applying power and signal, but nothing beats, just simply going through each module individually to identify trouble areas.

I will start, with the key module, the master section aka M3000E. In the pics you can see where I have done some minimal recapping and some work on the output (the little cards) and summing area. They were in really bad shape. In fact the circuit was completely modified from the original. The Schematics not only called for a 5534, but also a pair of TIP Transistors in the output stage. Still debating on whether to return the output modules back to their former glory.

Now to tackle the issues. This module has been hacked up pretty badly over the years and I will be completely rewiring (yes with Mogami) as the wire has become brittle and extremely fragile. Trace rebuilding, oh the joys of this exercise. Removal of features not used (Quad bus mainly), along with any component that even looks questionable. So here are the before pics, should have it completed by Saturday at the latest. Will follow up with after pics.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

18. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    You are a brave soul sir. And I thought building studious was tedious!!!!

19. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    Brave? nah... Thank you, Actually awaiting some new test equipment before moving forward with the console, should be here in a week or so.

20. Gette

Gette Active Member

Home Page:
    Here is the first of the new test gear (power supply), the rest should be here,(scope, DMM, Sig Gen) by the end of the day. (according to the tracking anyway)

To be honest, I wanted to update my work bench at the day job. This gave a great justification to the wife, after all who wants to lug a scope, DMM, SigGen, Programmable power supply back and forth daily? I admit, that laziness sometimes plagues me and that thought (caring it back and forth) has kinda demotivated me.... Until the, Lets get the gear you need/want was spuosel approved ... :)

At some point I will bring a strip or two to work, to run some AP (Audio Precision) tests to see were it actually sits in the Frequency response and THD+N numbers.

I also have a car I have to re-assemble (97 Camaro SS)... will be balancing the two projects.

10469184_885220241505297_3489357848045561372_n.jpg

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed