The Apex 210 ribbon mic, any thoughts

Discussion in 'Microphones & Recording' started by bwmac, Oct 2, 2008.

1. bwmac

bwmac Active Member

Has anyone any used the Apex 210 ribbon mic.
    I got one last year for my birthday and haven't used it yet

apex.210.jpg

I have pluged it in and compaired it a little and found it very deep/ bassy/ rich or maybe even heavy would be a good word.
    any thoughts or experience

2. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

This is a Traynor product. I'm not sure that they even sell in the US. Ribbons tend to capture a lot of signal. They may not sound "perfect" off the first listen but they leave you with a lot to work with. Ribbon mics are like a slab of marble. What you want to sculpt is already there you just need to carve away the parts you don't need.

3. Link555

Link555 Well-Known Member

What are you recording with it?
    I have used ribbons on Horns with some success. They give you a warm Taxi Driver kinda vibe IMO..

4. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

Apex mics are sold in the States. They are made in China, medium quality. I have a 205 ribbon, and it's been OK on certain sources. Like Link said, interesting color for brass instruments. I've also used it in a strident country fiddle with decent results. No AEA, to be sure, but it's another paintbrush for your locker. Just handle it carefully and don't blast anything directly into it! BTW, I "modded" mine with a strip of "spike tape" running vertically down the REAR of the grille. This keeps plosives to a mimimum.