The Collapse of the Music Business

Discussion in 'Music Business' started by audiokid, Oct 8, 2013.

1. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Oh ya!
    Had the Calgary Union come in on me a few times trying to get money from me, threatening the managers to blacklist the hotel (club) if they hired Union offenders.

I used to "proudly" support the Union until they showed me how powerless they really were. All I was doing was paying into something that was soon to vanish.

I've sat with hundreds of musicians over the years who all said, WTF are we paying into this for. So we stopped paying into it around the mid 80's.

I share your story and experienced it. Played many of the B and A rooms in Calgary, Edmonton, Medicine Hat, all the way west to Whistler.

Booked through Sam Feldman, Banks and Assoc. to the indie agents. I too eventually starting booking myself which ended up as me investing in a Linn Drum and doing the A/ B/ C even D (is there such a thing) rooms as a two piece, investing in a big PA all to replace loud $*^t bands lol.
    So I doubled, tripled my weekly wages until MTV and DJ's, anti smoking and zero tolerance for alcohol took hold. I was smart though, saw the demise coming and saved my pennies, invested it into a studio and this website.
    All the stuff I learned on the road , running sequencers and programming top 40 made learning Pro Tools and this generation of "pro audio" a snap. The rest is history.

Now I tell my story in so many ways. I'm all but a few of the real musicians left, that know, lived through both sides of this business (real and electronic with a classical family background).

I'm one of the lucky ones that actually made a great living playing music with both analog and digital, can sing, play an instrument and talk about it still. What a racket.

There are a few of us still hanging around here. :love:

I'll check this out.
    Nice to have you with us, Neil.

kmetal likes this.
  2. Neil Speers

Neil Speers Active Member

I hear you - the MU was 'old guys' in the orchestra's (at least that's what I heard from most of the musicians around here) - and instead of stepping in and modernizing it, most of us just bitched about them and left.

I don't think there were "d" rooms - I just called it Drowning below C Level.

And thank you

Brien Holcombe and audiokid like this.
  3. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Ah, rock and roll. Those are the ones that only had cots to sleep on (felt like a prisoner). Which is why I bought a Bluebird Bus for those special gigs (take it while passing by) rocked the house and lived like a king, compared lol.
    absolute pleasure.

4. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    Well said

audiokid likes this.
  5. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    But those D rooms were the most fun! Just play and party lol. Trail Hotel anyone? Just below Rossland, BC Canada.

Neil Speers likes this.
  6. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    I think that's how it worked pretty much everywhere. It certainly was the way it worked when I came up in that scene in the late 70's and early 80's... it was about paying your dues and proving yourself.

I don't know if younger musicians do that anymore... then again, I don't know that there's much of a club scene left to really aspire towards anymore, either. ;)

Brien Holcombe likes this.