the next step

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Sidhu, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Sidhu

Sidhu Active Member

Hi,

Im in need for at least two more mic pres. Currently i have 2 Behringer UB's. I was wondering if there is a reasonably priced option that i should consider, and if realistic, wait a little, save up and invest

(bear in mind that majority of equipment is not available here, ill need to import direct, and duties are at a current of 40% of the cost including shipping and insurance)

I also use the what is probably the cheapest 4IO card available around. The audiotrak maya 44MkII.

http://www.audiotrak.net/maya44mk2.htm

Does it make more sence to buy a decent card. though im kinda sure that upgrading to an M-audio will not bring about a great deal of change.

Are the Yamaha MG consoles any good? We get these around for a reasonable price.. I have used one in a non-critical environment and liked it.

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/products/mixer/a_mixer/mg_series/mg_com/index.htm

i looked at the FMR pre, but it's a bit out of my range right now... Ill wait it out if it's really worth it.. but id rather get some acoustics done...

Thanks a ton

Sidhu

2. JBsound

JBsound Guest

The m-audio dmp3 is about the best budget pre (under $200) out there right now.

3. Sidhu

Sidhu Active Member

thanks, were getting it for about 300 here.. ill look into it

Sidhu

4. JBsound

JBsound Guest

Oh, I didn't even see where you were!

5. Sidhu

Sidhu Active Member

i think i can afford this ammount in the very near future... If it is a reasonable step up from the Behringer's il invest.. or should still wait it out (maybe purchase another behringer meanwhile) and finally invest in a couple of Bricks or something..

Sidhu

6. JBsound

JBsound Guest

Well, I think that the bricks would be a little better, but this would be a good intermediate step. It's a step up from the behringer for sure.

What does a brick cost over there?

7. Sidhu

Sidhu Active Member

Well... we dont get 99% of pro audio products here.. including anything by GT. Ill have to import direct.

:roll:

Add a 50% to the total cost of what the Brick would cost me (including shipping and insurence). that what it would roughly cost me here.

That im getting the M-audio pre is a good scene... also im having to pay only bout 50% over the american cost, which one would consider reasonable figuring that after the dealer anddistributor markup, most pro audio import costs atleast twice.

It's cheaper to import direct, but then i dont get a bill nor warranty...

Sidhu