The ZDT Zero Distortion Preamplifier series

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by audiokid, Jan 1, 2015.

1. audiokid

audiokid Chris Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    These look excellent. I've never had the opportunity but hope to grab a chance to try anything in this series.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUWCekyoiME

http://www.earthworksaudio.com/products/preamps/

2. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Not all that crazy about the first acoustic guitar sound,( am I the only one who noticed just a touch of phasing?) but the piano was gorgeous, and the acoustic guitar with the Telefunken mic really let the mic's character come through.

I would have liked to hear it on vocals, and, maybe it's just me, but a varying impedance feature may have served it well.

That being said, I'd say, based upon viewing this, and listening, that if you are looking for an ultra-transparent pre, this EW model would certainly be one to take a serious look at.

$1000 for a single channel pre may seem a bit over the top to some, but if an ultra-clean gain chain is what you are after, then I think the price tag is fair, and competitive.

( FWIW - This type of transparency is what attracted me to the Grace m101 that we've been discussing in another related thread regarding transparent pres.)

d.

3. audiokid

audiokid Chris Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    This combo sounded really good to me as well. I tend to like tube mics with clean preamps. Its like having a clean canvas, clean brush to paint detailed colours.

That acoustic guitar is a poor personal choice to me but being a guitarist, I appreciate how true, open and fast the pre and mic is regardless.
    I hear it like it was right in front of me, in that room. This sounds accurate considering youtube as well so I'm not really focusing on phasiness.
    The piano. (y)

I love these big open preamps.

A Grace is on my list too.