TL Audio EQ-2 for mastering?

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by sister, Mar 11, 2003.

1. sister

sister Guest

I have chance to buy one for about 1300 euros. What do you think about this EQ for mastering purpose anyway.

2. wave

wave Guest

I had this unit on demo for a week. I found it very harsh in the top and muddy in the low end. It was very difficult to match channels and found the cut and boost a bit all or nothing.Definitley not what I would call a mastering eq.

3. ssltech

ssltech Guest

TL audio is basically a Tony Larking production.

Tony Larking's been making cheap gear for years. -It's been budget stuff. -If not him then it seems to be made for him, examples are the Bel Flanger, the Bel BD80 delay line and so on. The Larking family (Don Larking was a used equipment dealer who used to market the Bel stuff heavily) have never really been into super-high quality stuff.

I think that all of the TL stuff is over-rated, over-priced and (unfortunately now) over-here!

Keith

4. Jon Best

Jon Best Active Member

nononono.

:)

Spend a couple hundred on a Urei 546, or buy a couple of Speck ASC's, and you'll be a lot farther along. For a lot less money.

5. Doug Milton

Doug Milton Active Member

Jon,
    I have a 546 that I had the power supply re-capped, barrier stripes disconnected and all internal wire replaced with Kimber. I do not use it in my mastering set up. Can you give me an idea of what would be a fair price if I try to sell it?

thanx

6. Jon Best

Jon Best Active Member

Responded to your PM before I read the post...

This is a pretty good chance for someone to get into a better-than-Finalizer EQ. Certainly a step up from the TL stuff. $250 to http://www.audioupgrades.com should make it even that much better.