To laptop or not to laptop?

Discussion in 'Computing' started by multoc, Oct 16, 2008.

1. multoc

multoc Active Member

Looking at either buying a laptop that I can use for mobile onsight recording, as well as use as a sampler live: either this dell http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8989008&type=product&id=1218006772494

or this toshiba: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9035732&type=product&id=1218010845774

On the other hand I could build a new tower with 4 gigs or ram and double the processor speed for maybe another $100...what say you?

2. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Member

Hey you Michigander, I love my newer laptops. But I can't plug my MOTU 2408 PCI card in those. So there you go. If you need to plug a hardware type card in, DESKTOP. If you only need FireWire and/or USB, LAPTOP. If you live in Michigan, HARDTOP. If you live in Florida, RAGTOP. If you like beer, POPTOP. If you like Oreos, SCREWTOP. If you are a drug addict, CRACKPOT. (Don't try this at home)

If you like distortion, FLATTOP
    Ms. Remy Ann David

3. Greener

Greener Guest

Some crackpot talking about snow cones...

This is why I get up in the morning.

Honest... Well... More afternoon than morning.

4. multoc

multoc Active Member

Haha well tis true, I dunno I'll eventually upgrade my tower later on in the year i spose.

5. PAETECH

PAETECH Guest

6. anonymous

anonymous Guests

Dell? you got to be kidding.
    ricoh chipsets and firewire dont mix... you of all people should know that.

FYI 99% of newer Montevina laptops dont have Firewire.
    of those that do they are Ricoh or jmicron crap chipsets.

adding an Express card to firewire so far has yielded a no go on the 7 we have tested.

Scott
    ADK

7. Jeemy

Jeemy Well-Known Member

sECOND that on Dell, don't touch them with a bargepole. A 4GHz processor and 4G memory means nothing if its all connected together with drinking straws, liquorice strings & spit.