Tracking Cello

Discussion in 'Strings' started by aaronwaudio, May 25, 2011.

1. aaronwaudio

aaronwaudio Active Member

Home Page:
    Tracking Cello

I have two ladies coming into the studio soon that play two cellos (usually one bowing and one strumming or pizzicato-ing). I have read a bit about how to effectively track cello, but i would love some input on mic placement, basic eq ranges and whatnot to expand my options. My studio has a large stage area with big stained glass windows that have curtains that can be opened or closed, as well as a smaller room that would just barely comfortably fit a band of 5 for a rehearsal or live recording. I can get a hold of lots of different types of mics, so feel free to throw out suggestions. Thanks!

2. Link555

Link555 Well-Known Member

I have used U87 pointed to the lower body (the instrument had a nice bump at 300 hz there) about 3 ft away. I mixed that with 2 earthworks QTC50's in a XY config about 2 feet from the bridge. All mic went through my Lucid pre into a Mackie SDR as the ADC and ADAT input into a Lynx L22 card into Nuendo 3.0. The sound was flattering in the body and the attack but the musician felt it sounded accurate and three dimensional. I have also had some success with ribbons for the body.

3. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Active Member

I envy you -- doing cellos it always very fun. They are cool instruments and actually hard to make them sound bad.

My clients have been pretty happy ( I have done cello duet twice ) so I will share my personal belief:

dont get too close with your x/y pair, I know you will want to, but resist - 4 feet is better than 3 feet, even though the books all say 2-3 feet.
    give them some room to complete themselves , and let the room sing with them
    put another mic about 10 feet out, decide at mix time whether it helps or hurts.
    DONT eq them during tracking -- odds are you will regret that.

4. aaronwaudio

Home Page:
    Thanks for the help guys, can't wait to get started. Going to one of their shows tonight to hear their music for the first time.

5. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

Glad you fixed the typo. I had this vision of someone on a floating cello sailing into a stiff wind.

6. aaronwaudio

Home Page:
    Yeah is there a way to change the name of the thread? I have a little OCD about stuff like that. I keep imagining hammering tacks into a cello.

*Fixed it.