1. Buy or Sell at your your own risk. RECORDING ORG is not responsible for any loss due to using this free and public service. Buyer/seller BEWARE. Your are accepting this when using this free public service.

For Sale Trinnov Audio Optimizer + Lynx Aurora 16 *PRICE REDUCED*

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Noah Katz, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Noah Katz

Noah Katz Member

*sold*

Trinnov Optimizer AES16 (early MC) processor w/12 ch licenses + Lynx Aurora 16 Mastering A/D + D/A Converter + Accessories - **GONE TOMORROW (on ebay)**

The Optimizer has substantially the same room correction and signal processing software as the Altitude, but no codecs (Dolby Atmos etc.) and no A/D or D/A conversion

Everything for $3895/OBO + 1/2 shipping from 94043, or free local pickup

Optimizer alone (w/all accessories except Lynx analog I/O cables) $3995/OBO + 1/2 shipping from 94043, or free local pickup

I’ll sell the Aurora 16 alone for $1200 (half of the best current online price I could find), but only after I sell the Optimizer.

Trinnov MC (MC = multichannel, also same s/w as Optimizer, but w/various analog and digital I/O options) is Class A ranked by Stereophile in the “Components Signal Processor” category.

Review here: https://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-62

Accessories

- Trinnov 3D Calibration Microphone w/optional XLR-DB25 adapter cable
    - Velbon C-500 tripod with PH-358 fluid head (for precise mic aiming when using Remapping)
    - Logitech K400 Wireless Touchpad Keyboard (Optimizer can also be controlled from PC via VNC)
    - 2 ea 8-ch Custom DB25-DB25 Optimizer-Lynx I/O
    - 2 ea 8-ch DB25-RCA analog to Lynx
    - 2 ea 8-ch DB25-XLR analog output from Lynx

All of the goods
    N1NMDhS.jpg

This pic shows the Optimizer and Lynx before removing from my system, with the rack handles and Optimizer display cover removed
    T6xVPg4.jpg

SOIWhAF.jpg

nMWiPv7.jpg

tazRh70.jpg

Trinnov 3D microphone
    E79fPVF.jpg

h75QDLZ.jpg

Dropbox link to see all 57 pic’s:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zxjq625qwzcno96/AAAVUdlO9SwtvfLIW8cCQekXa?dl=0

Summary of Optimizer Main Features & Functionality

Powerful and flexible room correction with user-definable target curves for each channel
    Multiple mic locations w/user-definable weighting of each position
    Loudspeakers position 2D and 3D remapping
    Control by external display/mouse/keyboard, optional IR module, VNC, or touchpad
    Manual FIR and 31-band graphic EQ
    Active crossovers
    29 memory presets, as well as stored profiles containing presets and additional global setup parameters
    Flexible source and speaker routing
    Matrix mixing of any channels
    Submixes
    DRC (dynamic range control)
    Input/output signal level metering
    Pink noise generator
    Selection of clock settings

For more detail, see the v3.6 Reference Manual Table of Contents which are the last three Drop pic’s (note: SmartMeter is an optional add-on and is not included).
    I also worked through the Optimizer s/w function tabs and took pictures of the more interesting screens.

I can also email you the manual pdf.

Adding Channels

The hardware (Optimizer, Lynx, cabling) for 16 ch is all there; all that is needed is to buy licenses for 4 more channels (~$600 ea).

To expand beyond that requires a MADI board; I believe you can go up to 64 ch (Curt says he has one for ~$1k).

Note from Curt Hoyt (Trinnov USA contact and tech expert, 714 840-1065): At some point you will run out of processing power. Figure approximately 16 channels for 96k, 24 channels for 48k. Would require a newer, faster processor to have more channels (the Altitude’s Intel i7 can do 32 ch at 192k).

Update to latest 3.8.x software [me: I believe that also puts you on tech support] costs ~$600. Current software fully acceptable for most pro applications, not worth the additional cost.

Notes for Home Theater Use

I've been using the Optimizer in a 7.1.4 Atmos system, feeding it with a Marantz AV7702MkII pre/pro, but be aware that unlike the Trinnov Altitude, it is not a pre/pro, i.e. it has no decoders, no audio/video switching, nor a 3D speaker layout.

Therefore it’s not appropriate to use 3D Remapping; all of the selectable Speaker Layouts which Remapping uses as a target are planar (2D), so remapping would attempt to squash all of the speakers into a common plane.

Nor is there an appropriate 12 ch 2D Speaker Layout; I’m using the generic 12 ch Speaker Layout (30-deg azimuth spacing) w/o Remapping.

However, similar benefits to Remapping are still possible.

Curt guided me through how to use the Submix/Matrix Editor to send a portion of Center ch signal to L/R to nicely raise the sonic image of my floor-mounted Center speaker; voices now appear to come from the screen instead of below it.

Also note that if not using Remapping, you don’t have to sweat about how precisely the mic is pointed at the center speaker during calibration.

Of course, if you’re not using height speakers, you’re golden; you can use 2D or 3D Remapping with the included 5.1 and 7.1 Speaker Layouts.

There are other neat tricks possible with the Optimizer:

1. Center Channels - While perforated screens permit the positioning of the center channel (and perhaps right & left channels) directly behind the screen surface for optimal localization of vocals, non-perforated screens and flat panel displays make this impossible. By using two center channel speakers, one below the screen and one above the screen (urilizes two Optimizer channels), the sound will image the center channel directly in the middle of the viewing surface.

2. Multiple Subs or Surrounds - The Optimizer doesn't really care how many speakers you have in your system or for that matter where they are located because either way, it will accurately pin-point their position relative to the viewing surface. You can use additional channels for extra surround (side surround) speakers, and multiple subwoofers with bass management. You can remap input and output channels to your specific setup, as is done in post production facilities like Fox Studios.

3. Spinning The Room – You can perform and store different calibrations for different rooms or different speaker/listener configurations in the same room. For example: A bedroom in which the flat-panel faces the bed or can spin 90-degrees and face the seating area; a living room space in which one end of the room is a two-channel hifi system while the other end of the room features a home cinema (180-degree spin); an office in which a surround system must properly orient when facing the desk or when working from the nearby conference table - all of these applications can be accommodated by the Optimizer.

Lynx Aurora 16 Converter

Unless you have some familiarity with pro audio gear, you’ve probably never heard of Lynx.

I did lots of research on A/D-D/A converters before buying it; it’s highly regarded in pro audio, at least at its not insubstantial price point.

It’s beefy (12 lb) with a toroidal transformer and high quality components.

The majority of users say it’s transparent, neither adding nor subtracting anything from the sound. A few said they preferred some other brands, saying they sound better, but they’re all quite a bit pricier.

Curt also recommended it, and he’s picky.

The last Dropbox pic is the Aurora 16 user manual Table of Contents, which will give a good indication of its features/functionality.

Optimizer details, history, and pricing determination

I based the asking price on a comparable MC unit with 12 ch; Curt said “A clean recent, used MC2 might get $8k.”

I figure a ~25% knockdown for age and the less sexy chassis is about right.

Curt may have or know of one of the prettier 4U chassis, or you could transfer the components to a HTPC chassis.

Or get a custom front panel by Modushop, with the Trinnov logo engraved

https://www.modushop.biz/site/index.php?route=common/home

As another point of comparison, here are some used ST2 units, which I believe are 2 ch + 2 subs versions of the MC.

Not sure these used units will be at this link when you click it, but there was one w/mic for $4500, and one w/o mic for $4000.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=trinnov

My unit was originally purchased in 2008 from Sonotechnique in Canada; they are still Trinnov dealers.

Specs: Pro 3RU chassis, Linux OS, Intel Celeron 440 2GHz, 64-bit floating point internal processing, 1GB RAM, SSD replaced in 2013 with v3.6.18 s/w update, RME Hammerfall DSP AES-32 I/O card, 180W PS

Price new in 2008 (converted from € at 2008 exchange rate of .70$/€)
    8 channels (AES unit)___$14,215
    Chassis Credit__________ -1070 this unit was ordered w/the industrial chassis
    Cal Mic__________________430
    Net total_____________$13,575

I bought the Optimizer in 2013 for $3100 in 2013 from a Montreal cinema that was closing down.

Trinnov Optimizer v1.9 s/w and licenses for 8 ch_____$3100
    s/w update to v3.6.18___________________________1500
    New SSD compatible w/v3.6_______________________150
    4 additional channel licenses______________________2000
    Trinnov 3D microphone___________________________750
    Lynx Aurora 16_________________________________2200
    Velbon C-500 tripod with PH-358 fluid head____________45
    Logitech K400 Wireless Touchpad Keyboard____________25
    2 ea 8-ch Custom DB25-DB25 Optimizer-Lynx I/O______130
    2 ea 8-ch DB25-RCA analog to Lynx__________________90
    2 ea 8-ch DB25-XLR analog output from Lynx__________90
    Total______________________________________$10,080

So why am I selling it? I’m 66 and have hearing loss. Even with the hearing aids I got last year, I don’t hear enough improvement to warrant the investment.

After basic calibration (which is all I have the knowledge or patience for; everything I've read says a lot more can be gained by someone willing to spend the time and/or who knows what they're doing.

I could tell that the pink noise was more uniform between all of the speakers, but when playing program material I can't say that I could tell a difference.

Also my hobby interests have moved from audio to CNC machining, which is also expensive :)

2. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    You put a lot into this thread. Wow!

3. Noah Katz

Noah Katz Member

nothing compared to what I spent - $9k, starting from the used Trinnov w/8 ch for $3k

fyi, it's now on ebay for $2695

pretty sure it will sell, 7 watchers and some serious inquiries

auction ends Monday