1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X5!
    Dismiss Notice

TT vs 1/4" patchbay

Discussion in 'Patchbays' started by Julius Borges, Aug 15, 2003.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. sosayu2

sosayu2 Active Member

i'm not saying don't use them, i just want you to be aware that this is an issue. on soldered patchbays you can have problems as well. bad patch points, cold solder points etc. these things happen over time and also depends how much you abuse the patchbay. it's very unnerving to me to see someone pull a patchchord by the cable instead on the connector...little things like this will ruin a patchbay.

2. mixopenta

mixopenta Guest

I've been following this thread with great interest, because I had a real nightmare concerning PB's, so this is just a personal reflection.

It was just a few years back when I found out that it was the patchbays that prevented me from getting real low-end punch in my recordings.

I've been using $100-300 pb's (just 1/4" though, and all cable used was Mogami.) and noticed no difference between them. Without them, however the difference was enormous, and ever since I trashed the PB's I finally can make decent recordings. It made me believe that TT PB's are the only way to go, but it doesn't seem so, reading these posts.

As sosayu2 said, I've had my fair share of cables and jacks going out on me too, both during tracking and mixing, and you don't want that.

I'm not saying that one should totally stay away from Patchbays, but it's just my experience and it will certainly be awhile before I get one of those again.

Good luck

3. sdevino

sdevino Active Member

Good points sosayu! Thanks for the clarification.

[ August 20, 2003, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: sdevino ]

4. sdevino

sdevino Active Member

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed