Tubepre or Not Tubepre

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by bobbo, Dec 11, 2004.

1. bobbo

bobbo Active Member

I have a Presonus tubepre and a bluetube that were my very first stand alone pre's and now I have better pre's so I haven't been using them. The question is, should I sell them or are there any mods I can do with them, could I change the tube? The tubepre needs the gain pot lubed up, its getting scratchy.

Also, are there any solid state pre's around $1000-1300 besides the vintech x31i and isa 220, I will be mostly using it for kick drum with a audix d6, and for vox with a soundelux u195. (i plan on getting the x31i and the 220 anyways.

thanks

bob

2. anonymous

anonymous Guests

Well... I'd like to think that the Great River ME-1NV is a far superior pre to the x31i and the 220 on either's best day... I'd also say that a Groove Tubes "Brick" will by far outclass any of the Presonus crap you have now in the area of a pre-amp with a tube inside. There are more than a few other pre-amps, like the Speck Electronics 5.0 that are exceptionally useful tools for a smidge less than the national debt [the Speck is running about $700/channel]... then there is stuff by Phoenix Audio that's pretty damn good... John Hardy... TAB-funkenwerks... all kinds of groovy $*^t in that price range that will eat the x31i and the 220 for breakfast and $*^t them out before lunch.

Best of luck with your search.

3. bobbo

bobbo Active Member

Re:

I am choosing the x31i and the 220 because they are channel strips with at least an eq or eq and compressor. I am trying to get more bang for my buck, I guess i should have specified.

Bobbo

4. anonymous

anonymous Guests

Then look at the Toft ATC-2... way better EQ/compression than Focusrite ever imagined... and if you're really going to look the "Neve-esque" route... the EQ-1NV is a pretty trick box [if I do say so myself] and goes amazingly well with the ME-1NV I mentioned earlier... and the Chandler TG Channel or LTD-1... yeah, they're more expensive, but IMNTLBFHO, they're way better units that will serve you better over a greater period of time... for that matter the Toft ATC-2 is in a somewhat similar league with some not quite as good parts and made in a Chinese factory [instead of handbuilt in the good ol' US of A]