1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X4!
    Dismiss Notice

Two Audio Interfaces

Discussion in 'Accessories / Connections' started by Norman Fernandez, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    Yes, it can, either coax or optical.

pcrecord, kmetal and bouldersound like this.
  2. cyrano

cyrano Active Member

Let's keep both feet on the ground, shall we?

We're talking about syncing TWO devices. Both should have decent clock circuits and Core audio should be quite capable of reclocking them.

If you're on a real big setup, with a few audio interfaces and a fez video digitisers, OK. Build a sync network.

But in this case...

I've seen far too many problems with sync connections that weren't connected as they should. Like in no T-connectors on coax, or wrong termination.

Besides, if you use ADAT, it will be re-clocked by the Focusrite. In hardware. Not necessarily better, but perhaps easier. I don't know this particular Focusrite, but my RME handles that very well.

In the early days of digital (like 25 years ago), there might have been some concern. But these days, I wouldn't worry 'bout it.

3. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Core Audio doesn't necessarily (or simply doesn't) have access to the clocks in USB devices. Once audio has been digitized on multiple devices using un-synced clocks the only options are to let them drift, accept dropouts or resample.

4. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    If the OP uses only the 2 Focusrite 18i20, syncing to adat is probable the easiest way to go.

But if a 3rd unit is added, then, there is no choice be use the worldclock(bnc) connection.
    But the problem is that the 18i20 only have a worldclock output and no input. Also some units like the FF800 and Focusrite 56 and others have an integrated termination, we just have to push the button to activate it on the last unit..

5. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

Home Page: