Two preamps in serial??

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by Twood, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Twood

Twood Active Member

Home Page:
    I am planning to do a live recording. I was thinking to use the line output on the FOH mixer. But I was wondering, should I go directly to my converter or should I go through some of my preamps as well?.. I have 6 good preamps (API and Green river). Or will this degrade the sound? (I think the FOH mixer is a Allen&Heat 48chn)

I know I would be better to split the signals before they reach the FOH mixer. But I dont have that option..

How would you do it?

2. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Direct to the converter.

The signal from the board's output will be too hot for the preamps.

3. Twood

Twood Active Member

Home Page:
    What if I use the line inputs on my preamps?. Will the signal still be too hot?

4. Link555

Link555 Well-Known Member

No but why introduce more noise?

5. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    Nice preamps. You could take 6 mic channels through those and then split two ways: to the converter and to line inputs on the A&H board. Allow the less important mics to go into the A&H, and for those channels use the channel direct outs straight into your converter.

6. Groff

Groff Active Member

Wouldn't that change the impedance (preamp out) and degrade the sound quality? :roll:

7. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Depends on how you do the split.

Y cable - yes.
    Patchbay normalled - yes
    Isolated (transformer) - no

However, in none of these cases would I worry since the output impedance of any of these pres is <_edit_> LOW </_edit_ >enough to not worry about a cut. Split 3 or 4 ways...maybe. But then that would just be insane, wouldn't it?

Me personally - I would go for the easy route seeing as how there's not a chance on earth anyone would ever be able to tell the difference in a final recorded project between an A&H Pre and an API when recording off of FOH. (Perhaps if the performer were Peter Gabriel or Sting...maybe.)

8. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    No, but then you're just throwing another circuit in the path.

Kinda redundant.

9. Boswell

Home Page:
    Just curious, why those two?

With my suggested scheme, the A&H pre-amps would not be in the recording circuit of the first 6 channels, and so Twood could choose a sonic flavour for each channel according to the sound source and the type of mic used. Having said that, the A&H desks I have used (GL2800s) have all have clean pre-amps with good headroom, so the case for using boutique pre-amps is a lot lower than it would have been with, say, a Peavey or a Phonic mixer.

I think you meant to say "the output impedance of any of these pres is low enough..."

By the way, it's a myth that transformer splits do not impose loads on the source. The actual load will be reflected back through the transformer as the square of the turns ratio, so 1:1:1 split transformers will act in loading terms as though the two loads were in parallel and the transformer not there.

10. Cucco

Why which two?
    Peter Gabriel and Sting?
    A&H and API
    or Y Cable and patchbay

Yes - that's exactly what I meant - thank you. I'll edit my previous - thanks.

I did not know that - thanks. Now I do.

11. Boswell

Home Page:
    Peter Gabriel and Sting. Perhaps there is some special sonic quality to their voices that has passed me by?

12. Cucco

Nope...think more on the production value of the show, not the performers themselves.

13. Cucco

Nope...think more on the production value of the show, not the performers themselves.

14. Boswell

Home Page:
    Oh, right. I'll listen more closely next time I'm having coffee in Starbucks.

15. Cucco

LOL...