U5 on to mix

Discussion in 'Mixing' started by OneMan, May 8, 2001.

Tags:
  1. OneMan

OneMan Member

Has anyone tried a couple of Avalon U5's on there 2 mix? If not , what are you using?

OneMan

2. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

Well, the summing bus in the board is pretty well suited to the task. What I do put in the insert is an RNC. I don't quite get the point of using a preamp in that spot. If you're having level problems, you ought to be solving them before that point in your signal chain, IMO.

Bear

3. OneMan

OneMan Member

BGF,
    I am not having any level probs at all. It's just that the U5 has it's own sound character (or so I've read) and for the price of two of them,less than a grand, I could get a lot of use out of them in other applications as well. Ironicly you are using an RNC. I intended to use one of those in the chain as well. How do you like it?
    Thanks for reading...

OneMan

4. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

I don't quite see the preamp-for-character in the mix bus thing, but if it works for you, cool. I'd say if you're getting a multi-use box for the job, get a mic preamp with line preamp functionality for a bit more versatility. But I doubt that you'll be using enough gain from the U5 to really bring out a lot of color, but I haven't used the box. Compressors, limiters and eqs tend to provide more options as "warm" boxes, IMO.

The RNC is wonderful, but I wouldn't consider it among these "warm" boxes, it just is a powerful, flexible compressor that won't wreck your sound.

da Bear

5. JS

JS Guest

Guys - you must be jocking, are you not?
    The U5 is a DI box. Why on earth would anyone put a DI on his mix?

I have one - never used it on the mix. I have recorded many things through it but never mixed through it yet, maybe I should try it one day for the "character"...one side only...

6. OneMan

OneMan Member

JS,
    I are not jocking and I am not joking either. It's a piece of gear that has audio ins and outs. You can insert it anywhere you want regardless of what it's called. It has tone controls and a very DIstinct sound I am told. Just wondering if anyone has tried it.

OneMan