Under the hood - inside the Marshall V67G and the Sound

Discussion in 'Microphones (live or studio)' started by hargerst, Jun 8, 2001.

1. user_gamesound

user_gamesound Active Member

hey harvey-

great stuff -- how about another 'down & dirty' comparison on a few budget TUBE mics? perhaps the Marshall MXL-V77, Nady makes one called the TCM 1100, the ADK 51TC, maybe the Rode one too?

whaddya say...?

2. hargerst

hargerst Distinguished Member

Big problem with that is I'm not a reviewer, and I don't wanna be. This was for my own information and to share my findings with a few of my friends. I'm ok at testing some stuff, but 5 words from someone like Stephen Paul are worth more than 5 pages of my writing. I run a studio for a living and that's what I like to do.

3. riconga

riconga Member

Harvey, no disrespect to Stephen Paul or anyone else but in this instance it is exactly your perspective that were interested in hearing thats why were reading your forum. Please continue to share your impressions and evaluations, for most of us "bottom feeders" this is the kind of reflection were interested in. Thanks for sharing your observation's.

4. riconga

riconga Member

P.S. ^#$% what alan hyatt says, let us hear your thoughts and then we can evaluate the info for ourselves.

5. Ken Weeks

Ken Weeks Guest

You know, speaking as a guy who obviously made a purchase decision based on this thread, I want to make something clear.

I was already right on the edge about purchasing the V67G when I spotted Harvey's beautiful "take apart" article. My main concern was with the mic's construction (I've heard one), and this thread spoke to that beautifully. One of the most devestating charges brought against the Chinese mics is that they're not well-built. The sight of the Marshall's lovely brass capsule pushed me over the edge and I made a purchase.

The Studio Projects mic may, indeed, sound wonderful - I have not heard it, and if I had I would hesitate to express my ignorant opinion in such august company! - no disrespect intended, Mr. Hyatt. I'm sure the epoxied back side of the capsule works just great and the extra holes in the retaining ring might indicate a cost-savings (cheaper to make just one ring and use it on the front and the back, perhaps?) But to a tire-kicker like me it doesn't *look* good. Maybe somebody said, "who cares that the ring has too many holes, it has zero effect on the sound and they'll never see it," but they were incorrect. We saw. It looks kinda ugly.

Mr. Hyatt, if possible I'd clean up that capsule JUST a bit so the interior appearance will do justice to all the people who work hard to produce the Studio Projects mics. Maybe do a new set of rear retaining rings for the back of the capsule with just two holes in it? And just so the new models wouldn't be confused with the old you could call it the C-1hg? Might be a nice gesture and a happy ending to this tempest in a teacup.

Perhaps the "orignal" C-1's will become collector's items? Certainly there will be people who claim they can hear the screw-holes in the retaining ring, hehehe.

Thank you again, Harvey. I hope you don't give up the reviews but you sure deserve a break after all this "screwy" business! We beginners have OODLES to learn from you other than product reviews. I'll shut up now and once again take my seat at the feet of the Master. :D