Under what circumstances...

Discussion in 'Microphones & Recording' started by Guitarfreak, Mar 4, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Guitarfreak

Guitarfreak Well-Known Member

...is it better to use a shockmount over a standard mount?

2. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

Home Page:
  3. Guitarfreak

Miking a guitar cab?

4. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Why on earth not?

5. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

I guess because it could interfere with position of the mic. The thing is that a shockmount is always sonically preferable, but is often a PITA logistically. I guess another example is where a singer wants to eat a mic and use the proximity effect. As a short answer, "always" is correct.

6. Guitarfreak

The thing is that a shockmount is always sonically preferable, but is often a PITA logistically.[/quote]

What do you mean a PITA logistically? You mean like as far as placement goes, and getting it to sit right its a PITA?

7. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

What do you mean a PITA logistically? You mean like as far as placement goes, and getting it to sit right its a PITA?[/quote]

Yes and Yes. Depends on the shock mount also and the mic to be shock mounted.

8. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

Yes and Yes. Depends on the shock mount also and the mic to be shock mounted.[/quote]
    You mean the shocker and the shockee ?

9. It comes down to convenience IMO.

A 57 on a loud guitar amp probably doesn't need a shockmount.

An LDC on a cello....probably needs it. You can sometimes flick a cable like 10 feet down the line on a sensitive mic and hear it....if you are recording a quiet source, any bits of handling noise are going to much more apparent.

10. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

As Dave said, Yes and Yes. Add to that the fact that they are expensive, bulkier, and more fragile than a mic clip so that I usually take them off and put them in a safe place when I store a stand - while I'll just leave a mic clip on the stand. Overall, there are a ton of little ways that they make a little more work. Still I almost always use them on LDCs or ribbons.

11. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    There's the obvious differences between preferences and practicality.

Still... I've used a 57 cobbled into a shockmount for an NT2 on a really rickety/squeeky floor of an old house I tracked a guitar in... the guitar player moving around actually got the mic/stand bouncing a bit.

12. robcranmer

robcranmer Guest

I agree with the volume/sensitivity issue. The more sensitive the mic...the greater the need for a 'mount. Basically if I'm tracking vocals using any of my condensers...they are shockmounted. If I'm tracking metal guitar parts off a screaming Marshall cab I just go with the regular mic stand mount.

13. BDM

BDM Active Member

shockmounts look more professional.
    i shockmount my coffee cup.

14. Greener

Greener Guest

Pics or it didn't happen. :p

15. rockstardave

rockstardave Active Member

and you'd better shockmount your camera when taking photos of shockmounted coffee cups