Unsigned artists.....let it be known!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by audiokid, Aug 7, 2001.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. nodell

nodell Guest

i would definitely be interested in this. it also looks like the survey shows most everyone here is also in favor of it (although we seem to be split 50/50 regarding fees).

bill also has a interesting point of view - make RO not only a vehicle for un-heard/un-signed performers but a label as well. seems like it would be difficult without any capital investment but a very interesting idea nonetheless.

i have music ready to post - let's start small and see how it builds/catches on. what do we need to do to get started?

neil

2. AzzXaA

AzzXaA Guest

Start a label would be awesome!
    What we should have is a band that we could start direct to promote and make some money on them.....who know they may get famous..!! :)

3. Lenz

Lenz Guest

Hi
    My band AjjA is finishing our album these days (if we could only get the mix right).
    We're unsigned, and are currently looking for a label.
    I'll be watching this forum to see what you come up with.

AjjA

See ya

4. Aaron-Carey

Aaron-Carey Active Member

I got finsihed albums up the ying yang by a wide variety of bands, Id love a way to get em out!
    I suspect many studios will be low on bookings during these dark times, but certainly people will want new music for distraction. In my off hours, if anyone in the Phoenix area needs my studio services so we can pull this off, give me a call.

5. hi, this is my first post so i will introduce myself. My name is Andy and i go by the artist name Matrixmillion. I make music in drum and bass, 2 step, trance techno and a whole load of other genres chucked in - i like to experiment - ive got songs i would love to get feedback on. I dont know too much about gettin signed and all that. But i know im interested in this idea a lot. Its cool!

6. Aaron-Carey

Aaron-Carey Active Member

Hey welcome aboard to another felow DALnetter, Matrixmillion, good to see you here :)

7. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    welcome aboard!

8. thanks guys =)

9. Meglomania

Meglomania Guest

Hello-

I make hiphop (not that bastardized madness on your televisions and radios 24/7), and I would be interested in a song submittal contest, if there were judges who are not biased by genre and preconcieved notions about particular music... It's real hard to get people to listen to hiphop with an objective ear if all they've ever heard is a dummy rapper talking about "bitches and hoes"...

10. Teacher

Teacher Member

sounds great to me

11. Idle Threats

Idle Threats Guest

Hi audiokid,

I think your post on the survey and the following responses were brilliant! I agree with all the sugestions that people have made.

This is what I think we should do with all the responses.

1. Create a new website that unsigned bands can send demos, singles and cd's to.

2. The site then uploads them for people to download and burn to cd's or whatever they like to do with them.

3. The site offers a feedback area/forum for critique from music industry experts selected by the site host/s.

4. The site offers a feedback area/forum for critique from the site visitors.

5. A competition be held in several formats.

5.1 Depending on amount of band "entries" we can have "Band of the Week", "Band of the Month" and "Band of the Year".

5.2 Each winner for "Band of the Week" goes into the "Band of the Month" category. Each "Band of the Month" then goes into the "Band of the Year" awards.

5.3 We obtain prizes for these bands such as studio time, recording time, radio time, instruments etc.

5.4 I would like to see this site also become a label, which can then also be used for the prizes etc.

6. The site forms associations with other industry types in different countries. I.E. RO looks after the USA, and say for example Idle Threats Entertainment looks after the Australian bands etc.

7. We as an association take on the role of band managers.

8. We organise gigs and tours etc as well as some bigger ones with some well known bands. I.E. Winner of "Band of the Month" has a support gig with for example, Limp Bizkit.

I hope you can see what I am getting at here?!

At first we provide a service, and then flow that into a business, as in making money to help support any other ventures we decide to go in.

Id appreciate your comments and am looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,

Glen Burns
    Idle threats Entertainment.

12. McAllister

McAllister Member

Yes. Go go go.

Some important things (some of which have been mentioned already);
    1) there needs to be a defined, definite leader in all this who can delegate when needed and can call the shots. Getting input from lots of folks is a great idea, but there needs to be one captain.

2) I, personally, have never like a battle of the bands format or 'best of' things. This is art. I suppose there could be a 'song of the day/week/month' thing, but 'better,best' designations make me uncomfortable.

3) Catagories. No one likes to be pigeonholed. There is not a player I know who describes his/her music in a single box. As the big boy lables have done this to death, and this enterprise is antidote of sorts, great care might be used in definitions.
    I realize it's sort of shitty to point out a problem and offer no solution, but I don't have one.

If there is anything I can do to help, count me in.

sm

13. Hardnox

Hardnox Guest

My brother and I are wrapping up our debut album right now. We were featured in this month's (March 2002) Keyboard Magazine. We are 22 and 19 years old. We do everything ourselves by means of our studio we've built complete with a Pro Tools Mix Cubed rig, soon to be upgraded to an HD3. We will be putting this album out and pushing it ourselves this summer. We already have a local fanbase from DJing for many years and from DJing we have also developed many valuable relationships with folks working for the major labels in the San Francisco Bay Area offices. We will be looking for Label and distribution opportunities. We will not sell ourselves to a major and become another packaged and manufactured clone of what's already out there. We want to retain full creative control of our music. If that means we come up in 6 years instead of 2, then fine, we're used to working our asses off, and frankly the hard road is often far more worth it.

I am a member of this forum and hang out here often. Oh, by the way, we go by the name of Hardnox.

I liked this discussion, just thought I'd add to it and try to give evidence that a lot of talent is sitting right in here! I would love to see a new label with a new attitude arise and gain power in the industry. It might make the "big boys" re-think some things.

14. B Callaway

B Callaway Active Member

I'm interested......

Thanks
    Bruce

15. SonOfSmawg

SonOfSmawg Well-Known Member

I'm accumulating a nice catalog of songs, however, I'm recording on digi001 and still consider myself a relative newbie when it comes to DAW recording. Being a perfectionist, I do not release any of my recordings at this point, and consider everything I'm doing right now to be a learning experience, in preparation for when I can finally afford a Soundscape system. Once I get familiar with that system, I will be working feverishly to get myself heard. I hope, by then, that RO will be one of the tools available to help me reach my goals.

16. audiowkstation

audiowkstation Active Member

Lets add more to this thread!

17. TheRealWaldo

TheRealWaldo Guest

Almost everything mentioned here is already on, or planned for NWR4, and NWR is associated with RO, hell I even host (and keep running) the RO server.

NWR4 is delayed however due to financial constraints, what is proposed is not cheap, but could be done with donated equiptment and a little cash.

W.

[ January 04, 2003, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: audiokid ]

18. HiString

HiString Guest

Waldo,

I know you mentioned needing equipment elsewhere in the past...........is it possible for you to compile a list of the essential stuff you are needing, post that list here as well as other sites and see if people are in a position to help. It is much easier to help when you know what is needed.

Regards,

:cool: