USB Hubs

Discussion in 'Microphones & Recording' started by Halifaxsoundguy, Dec 25, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Halifaxsoundguy

Halifaxsoundguy Active Member

On my old mac if I pluged my iPOD into the USB port on the keyboard, I would get a message that would say something like "not enough power to run device".

I now need a USB Hub for my macbook as I've run out of ports. Is there a certain type of Hub I need to buy to get the best results out of each port? I've seen a nice cheap 4 port at Radioshack for $20 but I don't know if their all the same.

2. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Member

Information that I've gotten indicates that hubs are not terribly functional for audio purposes. I think you're screwed?

What happened to the Hubble?
    Ms. Remy Ann David

3. pr0gr4m

pr0gr4m Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I use a USB hub with my lappy. My computer has 2 USB ports...one's got my iLok and the other my Hub. Into the hub I've got my USB hard drive (that I record audio to) and my mouse. I haven't had any problems with mine over the past few years.

I would highly recommend that you get one that has it's own power source though.

4. Halifaxsoundguy

Halifaxsoundguy Active Member

i have a ext HD and my midi controller to be powered, plus iLok and mouse. I hope i'm not screwed. Maybe i'll need a power supply for my controller.

5. pr0gr4m

pr0gr4m Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    naa...you ain't screwed. Just pick up a hub that's got a power adapter. They're common and cheap and you'll be good to go. I've got a Kensington and it's been going for 2 years now.