(term) Vacuum Tube

Discussion in 'Glossary of Terms' started by audiokid, Jun 6, 2010.

  1. audiokid

    audiokid Chris Staff

    Mar 20, 2000
    BC, Canada
    Home Page:
    Known in the UK as valves, tubes are devices that amplify electronic signals. With the arrival of the transistor, tubes fell out of popularity except for some very high-end audiophile equipment manufactures, but with the proliferation of digital audio workstations, tubes have seen a reemergence. Although they require much higher voltages, often around 300 volts as compared to around 10 volts for bipolar and field effect transistor, they respond better to overload conditions and are more electronically rugged. Additionally, many state that the color tube equipment imparts is a perfect companion for the digital recording medium.

Share This Page