Valve Mic or dynamic mic for home studio

Discussion in 'Microphones (live or studio)' started by Hemmick Reef, Feb 16, 2006.

  1. Hemmick Reef

    Hemmick Reef Guest

    I have a groove tubes 67 valve mic that I use in my small home recording studio. I also have a groove tubes 'The Brick' tube mic preamp which I also use as an instrument D.I. The acoustics in my studio are not very good I need to add. I bought the mic on its review with SOS but I am thinking of replacing it with an SM57 to use with the Brick and spend any extra cash from the sale of the GT67 elsewhere.

    I am hoping that the SM57 will give me a good sound and be more versitile, that will be enhanced by The Brick.
  2. Nirvalica

    Nirvalica Guest

    ive never used the GT mic, but its a large diaphragm mic, right? from what i hear (since ive never used one) large diaphragm mics are better as vocal/acoustic/overheads for drums/ and ambience mics because they pick up subtle sounds and provide more detail. i own the sm57 and its a good mic. it more geared towards loud stuff (which pretty much all dynamic mics are for). it works well on drums and guitar amps, but not ideal for vocals and acoustic work. if i were you, i'd keep the GT and just buy an Sm57. they are cheap ($90).
  3. xnatex

    xnatex Guest

    nirvalica, i agree. large diphram mics are great for accoustic, drum overheads, and vocals.
    what are you looking to record with the sm 57?
    i us the 57 for cabinets, close micing drums, ocasional piano for a different sound.
  4. moonbaby

    moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

    Feb 23, 2005
    I like putting a 57 into a Brick....for guitar cabs, sometimes snare, etc. If you want a "colored" vocal, try a 58 into it. It works better for vocals than the 57. I wouldn't bother selling the GT mic. You will be lucky to get $100 for it. Better to hang on to it and use it later for...mic'ing submarines or something!

Share This Page