Vintech 1272 vs Sebatron?

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by MakoBlink, Jan 12, 2005.

1. MakoBlink

MakoBlink Guest

Im trying to decide on the 2 channel version of the sebatron vs the vintech 1272. has anyone done any sound comparisons/give me any advice?

2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

I have used BA 1272's and the Sebatron VMP pres and I personally prefer the Sebatrons. BTW, I love real Neves ....

I have to asume the Vintech 1272 is the same thing as the BA version ... I don't know what would be different. I have never been impressed with the sound of the 1272's even before I understood the difference between the 1071's 1082's and the 1272's or before I knew that R. Neve never made a pre amp called the 1272.

My first reaction when using the 1272 for a bass track was, "What's all the hub- bub about with these things?"

I can assure you I never had a problem hearing what the buzz was about with any of the other Neve types available.

Original Neve designed pres from this era employ 3 gain stages that interact with each other and create the Neve sound ... The 1272 uses only 2 stages amplification and is essentially 2/3rds of a Neve or as I call them, "Neve Lites" ... I have heard some assert that the 3rd stage doesn't engage before 60dB of gain, but that's not really true according to conversations I have had with people who know more about it than I do.

3. MakoBlink

MakoBlink Guest

kurt, in your sebatron review you said it listed at 1495? I cant find that price

4. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Look at the date on the review, that was about 18 months ago .... I also wrote at the time that I thought as soon as the Sebatron caught on the prices would go up .... in which I was correct ...

I think the VMP 4000e sells for around $1800 now .... still a hell of a deal for 4 class A, transformer balanced tube pre amps ..

btw, in use over the past months, I have found the switchable EQ bass boost/cut and high / sheen boosts to be very useful ... often all that is needed.

5. Reggie

Reggie Well-Known Member

I need some Maalox or something, because my G.A.S. is killing me!

Thanks, jerks. :evil:

:D

6. Johnjm22

Johnjm22 Guest

I can't speak about the Vintech because I've never used one. But I can say that the Sebatron kicks a$$. I have one and love it. I use on everything, it never lets me down. Very versital.