Virtual Drums

Discussion in 'Drums' started by MWiseman, Mar 30, 2009.

1. ZebraThief

ZebraThief Guest

Sample based virtual drums..

I've heard a lot of cool things about BFD2, but I've had a lot of fun just using .wav samples and throwing them into a DAW using grid mode (I've used Live and Cubase, doesn't really work as well with PT) There are a ton of free samples just floating around, most bad, but a few pretty good. You can create some pretty sweet grooves if you line up your samples right in grid mode. Granted, its more work than using a virtual drum plugin, but its cost effective if you're financially limited (like me) and it gives you a bit more control over each hit as they are .wav files instead of little MIDI bits. Its fun to experiment with if you're up for new things.

2. ouzo77

ouzo77 Active Member

Home Page:
    Re: Sample based virtual drums..

you could load those wavs into battery and do the same thing, but with more flexibility.
    in battery you can use modulations to make every hit sound a bit different. you can apply variable volume, panning, saturation, bit crushing, filtering, detuning... for each sound and hit depending on velocity, pitch bend, after touch or randomly. with subtle settings you can breath some life into "acoustic" drum grooves or with extreme settings you can create awesome "electronic" beats.

it's definitely the most flexible drum sampler out there.

3. ZebraThief

ZebraThief Guest

Re: Sample based virtual drums..

You think it would be more flexible? I've always thought things like reversing samples, sidechaining, using outside effects and plugins, or whatever get complicated when using a sampler. I could be wrong, I've never used Battery. I'd probably be surprised if I used battery, I've always like NI's stuff, but it just seems hard to believe that being "limited" to a MIDI environment would be more flexible than just working with the bare wavs.

4. ouzo77

ouzo77 Active Member

Home Page:
    i woudn't think of midi as being limited. what more can you do when putting wavs directly into a track?
    the only thing that comes to my mind would be to split different sounds to different tracks and assign different effects to them (so many differences...:?).

but you have up to 8 stereo or 16 mono outputs (and various combinations) in battery that you can assign to aux tracks in your daw.
    you want to reverse a sample, just click the reverse button.
    you can make kits with up to 128 sample slots, which can each hold up to 128 samples (for multisamples or sound layering)
    you can assign each cell to a key and place the notes in the midi grid (or piano roll or whatever it is called in cubase) just like you would place the samples onto a track.

i think you can't get more flexible than that...

btw, i am not related to native instuments in any way! :wink:

5. ZebraThief

ZebraThief Guest

Haha.. Yes, Battery sounds pretty legit. You'd be a great rep! Happy customers carry alot of weight in spreading a good product.

Anyway, I suppose if there were anything that you could not do in Battery, you could always mix down the wav and pop it in the sampler, thus being able to do it battery. There's just something about MIDI drums that seems "closed" to me. Visually, I like being able to see the whole of my drum wavs collected together instead of having to view the drums through the lens of a sampler's GUI. I may just be jaded from using fruity loops and reason's drum sampler too much. Battery sounds fresh. It's strange that I haven't heard as much about it as BFD2. I may have to try out some demos.

6. ouzo77

ouzo77 Active Member

Home Page:
    you see all the hits together in the drum editor
    http://vid.firepixie.com/skitch/Cubase_LE-20090207-212723.jpg

7. ZebraThief

ZebraThief Guest

Well, the biggest visual bonus would be that you are better oriented to see your drum wavs in relation to the rest of your tracks. You can work on arranging your drums in the editing window (in Live and cubase at least) right alongside the rest of your tracks instead of using a separate drum editor or plugin window.

Something like this:
    http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/8953/picture1vdo.png

Not really a big deal, but that's more of what I was trying point out, anyway.

8. XLN addictive drums is great... get trial online. Its the best I've ever used.

9. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Active Member

I think I just got a great idea for a new "reality" show.... some of you guys are naturals. Probably good $$ in it if you can keep this sort of thing up for a season.

Anyway ... Big time respect here for those who can actually play the drums. Having said that, here is a +1 vote for BFD2. It did take me a while to get the kinks out of it though, and even now, I run it in 16 bit mode to get rid of some artifacts. Still working with the good folks at FXpansion to understand that better.

10. BDM

BDM Active Member

i have to say, i'm a little disappointed...
    i did not find Greener's original 'joke/opinion' post so offensive or time wasting. in fact, i have found his posts rather entertaining and thought provoking, especially considering that one can only view 'which is the best -----?' posts so many times when the answers are pretty much the same listing of the most popular products that one can research with the search function here or with google. that the 'discussion' got so heated so quickly is really too bad.
    his statement that he is a troll is more self-deprecation than truth, and if it took 1953 posts to finally 'discover' he really is a troll.... hmmmmm.
    i think this community is poorer without him. while one may not agree with his opinions, i respect his right to express them, and the discussions created are (generally...) infinitely more interesting than 'i use BFD. I use DFH. I use...'
    there are some really strong, unique personalities on this site. now there is one less...
    (by the way, i use DFH.)

11. ouzo77

ouzo77 Active Member

Home Page:
    it's one thing to say his opinion and another to bash people who
    1. can't play drums but still want to make music
    2. who can play drums but have no facilities at hand to record real drums anytime they want (like myself)
    3. who can't afford a good drummer and still want to make music
    4. who don't want to use a bad drummer because they can't afford a good one

i don't think he was a troll, either, but he wasn't really helpful most of the time. he was just snotty, and considering his recordings i have heard so far his behaviour wasn't even justified.

12. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

Whoa!. How did I miss this one? Greener openly admitted to being a troll on more than one occasion. He's made idiot comments many a time. He was definitely a troll. Just not a very good one. A troll with a conscience? He had this innate ability to redeem himself on the rare occasion, keeping him off the radar. I only wish I was here to scrape him off myself.

13. jammster

jammster Active Member

huseph, I remember your thread where he openly admitted to being a troll.
    Greener had no place interrupting a thread like this, it was unforgivable. Nobody in the right mind would do something so stupid.
    Personally, I think he has substance abuse/ alcohol issues. Greener if your still out there, get some help with your anger. You got a good mind, just use it and respect those who offer you a chance to voice your opinions.

14. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I think you're dead on there. I hope he's listening. And, if you are listening, I've been there. Still an addict, I just don't use drugs anymore.

15. SeniorFedup

SeniorFedup Guest

Yeah he reminds me of a pal of mine. smokes too much pot and straight whiskey for dinner.

16. jammster

jammster Active Member

I recently checked out the youtube video on Cubase 5. Very cool looking interface for virtual drums. Has anyone used it? I would like to try it.
    [youtube:5c090d11a8]http://www.youtube.com/v/lhxiclpAGyw[/youtube:5c090d11a8]