1. Hi Guest, if you are interested in professional video editing software, be sure to enter to WIN > Vegas Pro 15 now!
    Dismiss Notice

vocal booth on top of existing wood floors

Discussion in 'Acoustics (Live Room, ISO Booths)' started by Johnkeefe86, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Johnkeefe86

Johnkeefe86 Active Member

Feb 22, 2017
    New York City

I am building a vocal booth in my apartment, on top of an existing wood finished floor that is not insulated and rather old.

I originally built a plywwood deck on top of 2X4 joists decoupled with u boats, but after reading Rod Gervais' book decided to dismantle the entire floor and just double up on the plywood.

As of now, I have a 1/2" rubber flooring underlayment directly on top of the existing wood floor. Someone recommended inserting a layer of 1" or 2" 703 in between the rubber and the 2 layers of plywood? Will this design work structurally? I know the 703 is rigid but can it support the weight on top and still maintain a level finished floor on top?

If not, can someone suggest an appropriate design for this floor?
  2. Brien Holcombe

Brien Holcombe Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2015
    Exit 4
    If you are building a booth the size and like I would build the booth...no...the 703 will compress.

But as a decoupling mechanism. ..yes it is a common suggestion...typically for a drum riser or vocal island or what have you.