Vocal Mic for under $1000

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by Divo, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Divo

Divo Member

Is there a descent vocal Mic which sounds relatively uncoloured for under $1000. Something that will suit both Male and female vocals. I have been looking at the CAD M19 and the Rode NTK but I am still not sold on either of them.

2. MSR74

MSR74 Guest

Have you tried the ADK Area 51. It sounds great for $399 list. Check it out. Good luck...
    Mickey

3. route909

route909 Guest

I´d look at either Audio Technica, Røde (I heard they´ll release K2 and NT2000 soon, basically multi pattern versions of NTK and NT1000) and Studio Projects. The ADK A51 doesn´t really match up to these mics, imho.

Mats

4. robchittum

robchittum Guest

Just recently bought the Studio Projects T3 and I absolutely love it - very rich sounding without being overly colored. I highly recommend that you give it a listen before you buy anything else. Good luck.

Rob

5. hasbeen

hasbeen Active Member

Home Page:
    Audio Technica 4060, but try it first and read the reviews online. I love mine. It has that nice warm tube sound. For something more transparent and vivid reproduction, Shure KSM44

6. jazzgitter

jazzgitter Guest

You really need to check out a Soundelux U195. Awesome mic that not only sounds great on male/female vocals but sounds great on almost everything else as well.

7. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Well-Known Member

you can´t go wrong with At4040 or At4050.
    Kurt will point At4033, I am sure

8. Gabriel Sousa

Gabriel Sousa Member

Neumann tlm 103, excelet micro, under $1000 in my opinion the BEST under $1000

9. Gabriel Sousa

Gabriel Sousa Member

do you have an vocals recorded with u195 ? i would like to ear. thanks

10. themidiroom

themidiroom Active Member

I've heard the Studio Projects mics are very nice. I primarily use a Groove Tubes GT-55 I LOVE IT!!! $399 or less if you can find a deal.

11. jazzgitter

jazzgitter Guest

You can read a review on the U195 at http://www.piemusic.com and call Mercenaryaudio.com for more info on comparisons to other mics.
    Steve

12. jdier

jdier Active Member

Home Page:
    What is up with this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15198&item=2526682970

Am I missing something. Above it is mentioned that if I can get one for less than $400... Here they are for $200

Thoughts?

13. jdier

jdier Active Member

Home Page:
    Divo, I am fairly new to home recording, but I purchased the Studio Projects C3 for $300 instead of the NTK (because my budget was getting tight) and I have been very happy with it. I do not really have a good point of reference besides the Shure 57's and 58's and Beta 58s we had been using, but this one made (to my novice ears) our home studio sound 'like a real studio' for the first time.

Hope this helps.

Jim

14. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Matts....have you ever heard an ADK Area51 LDC mic? Or are your comments about this mic just 'hearsay'? I own two of em and they are every bit as good as ANY of the Chinese invasion mics listed here.I own Studio Projects mics and have a LOT of experience recording with Neumann 87i,U47,Large D. AKG's and the like.If you have not personally tried one I highly recommend them....go to their website and read about their philosophy on mic sound...it may surprise you..
    http://www.adkmic.com peace

15. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Davedogg! You old hound, "Clem-meister"! I just sent ADK an e mail requesting their consideration for some mics to review! I noticed they are in Washington State. Do you know if they build them here too? I will let you know what they have to say as soon as I hear back from them..

So.. it's an hour later from when I first put this post up. I have already received an affirmative from the folks at ADK! So I will be requesting 1 of everything... :D (oink-oink!) We will see what I get! Kurt