Web Guru help needed; "DNS error"

Discussion in 'Microphones (live or studio)' started by GT40sc, Dec 1, 2003.

1. GT40sc

GT40sc Active Member

I have been having trouble reading the forums here at R.O. and others lately. I can go to the "Table of Contents" page, but the individual threads will not open, and I get an error message saying "Cannot find server or DNS error."

Today I went to Windows Update and looked up the error, then printed out about 7 pages of instructions on how to cure it. Had something to do with a "Root Certificate Authority."

Looks like a real PITA to deal with, as you have to install a new certificate at each web site that has a problem...(mostly UBB, in my case, but not all.)

So before going through all that I decided to check my security settings...

Tools>InternetOptions>Advanced...

...under "Security" I UNchecked the first box, which is called "check for publisher's certificate revocation," and restarted the computer.

So far everything seems to be fine...I can read R.O. again!...But am I going to have security problems in the future? Is this important at all? Or completely inconsequential?

I really hate computers sometimes...

TIA,

2. pandamonkey

pandamonkey Active Member

Hey, I too had your problems for a while and I'm considered a "moderator" in some places!!! I banged my head till the cows came home, I even fried my hard drive and set everything back up again because it was driving me insane! then it occured to try installing Netscape to see if I could get on that way and it worked. I actually ended up liking Netscape enough that I use it most of the time. Having both browsers at my fingertips is nice anyways!
    Let me know what happens!
    mIchAEl
    P.S. made the Seahawks game Sunday, what a stadium! Go Hawks!

3. GT40sc

GT40sc Active Member

Hey Michael,

thanks for your help. IE 6 does not work, but Netscape does...whadaya know?

Just got it going a few minutes ago...the font looks a little strange: (small and thin) and the scroll wheel on my mouse does not work, but at least I can take part in R.O. again...

"Hello, may I speak to Mr. Gates please?"

thanks again,

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed