What about building a dbx Channel Strip mixer ?

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by jeronimo, Sep 6, 2001.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. patrick

patrick Guest

Originally posted by Fletcher:
    RME converters? Out of the pan into the fire, eh?

Hi Fletcher. I'm curious about this too, because like most of the people here, I respect your judgement. Have you had the RME converters into the shop to check them out? If not, perhaps you could get a unit in and let us know what your evaluation is. I doubt that they are as good as the Lucid and CraneSong stuff, but are they a reasonable alternative to some of the Apogee stuff you also sell?

I have had to rule out the Lucid converters for myself, because (according to the info on their web site) there isn't a power supply for Japan (OK, I could get a step-up transformer), and (more importantly) they have a warning that the maximum operating ambient temperature is 25C, and for several months of the year here in Tokyo I'm lucky if I can get the temperature down to the 26-28C range. (No, I don't like it, but that's what I have to live with right now :( :( ). So I am wondering if there is a more reasonably priced alternative to Apogee (which is much more expensive in Japan that in the US).

Anyway, I hope that you can give us some more precise comments, positive or negative, about the RME converters.

thanks

2. Tom Cram

Tom Cram Active Member

Home Page:
    >unless that 'employee discount' is taking one home for "testing", and never bringing it back.<

Obviously that is the BEST kind of employee discount! Being privy to the tweaks and tweaked units that are available also helps :)

3. anonymous

anonymous Guests

I tried the RME converters at a friends house, I wasn't too impressed. They sounded alot "smaller" than Apogees or Lucids, why I dunno, but the soundfield just wasn't as large.

As for the Lucid power supply thing, you wouldn't need a 'step down' transformer, if anything a 'step up' transformer. The power in Japan runs at 100v, the power in the US runs at 110-120. 10 volts of fluctuation shouldn't be a problem, much as the 50-60Hz thing is irrelevant to the Lucids.

As for the 'ambient temperature' thing, I don't know what to tell you, by my rough "C" to "F" conversion, that's around 80-90 degrees Farenheit, which is too hot to run any recording equipment. I wouldn't recommend running any of this stuff in over 75 degree F ambient temperature (which is roughly 20 degrees C). The humidity is also quite out of control there, especially during the summer, so if I may be so bold... get an air conditioner.

4. patrick

patrick Guest

Hi Fletcher. Yes, I think I said step-up.

Air conditioner? I have three. That's how I can get it cooled off to about 26C when it's 35C outside and humid humid humid! It can feel pretty chilly at 26, compared to outside, but of course the equipment can't tell.

I guess the Japanese stuff that's marketed here is built to operate a greater temperature range: for example, my Yamaha AW4416 can be operated at temperatures ranging from 5-35C. (the low temperature's no joke, either: a lot of Japanese housing is still pretty crappy and can get that cold. Kind of like indoor camping).

My long term solution is to get outta here.

Anyway, thanks very much for your comments on the RME converters. Maybe I'll think about working for only 8 months of the year for now! (Would be nice :( )

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed