What do you think of this drum mic setup?

Discussion in 'Drums' started by Mauisnow13, Oct 8, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Mauisnow13

Mauisnow13 Active Member

So, I'm upgrading some gear soon and am in need of new drum mics. I think I'm going to run a mainly Audix setup. I don't have a TON of cash, but am willing to pay a little extra for a good sounding mic that will last me a while.

I was thinking of running the Audix D6 in the kick, D4 on the floor tom, and D2's on the rack toms. I can't decide whether I want to use an SM57 or a Beta57 on the snare. I hear the Beta has a bit more high end and attack. I may end up using both, depending on the situation. I am soon purchasing an AKG C414 to use as an overhead. I'll eventually pick up another to get a better stereo overhead sound.

Any opinions or recommendations would be highly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Audix mics are groovy.

Experiment with both the sm and beta, one might work well on one source and vice versa on another.

414's aren't a bad choice either, damn shockmount costs a pretty penny though.

3. Mauisnow13

Mauisnow13 Active Member

The shockmounts come with the C414's I believe. All in a shiny little case. :D

I figured with the C414, it'll be worth the money. I can use it as an overhead, a vocal mic, or on instruments.

I've heard the D6 on kick and like the sound of it. With a little tweaking, you can get quite a few sounds out of it. I haven't experimented with the D4's and D2's however.

4. bent

Home Page:
    Correct, but when they break...
    :D

5. Mauisnow13

Mauisnow13 Active Member

I'll be VERY careful....:)

6. bent

Home Page:
    Never grab the mount anywhere other than at the threaded end, or SNAP!

(I'm pointing my finger at someone who is not here...)

7. bent

Home Page:
    ...pointing at a certain someone who uses dang-on PLIERS to tighten clips on mic stands - please ignore me, i have a tendancy to ramble...

8. soapfloats

soapfloats Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I'd say you're in a good spot.
    Here's what I can add:

I own a multitude of SM57s, a 52 for kick, and a CAD drum mic kit I don't use. I do use the 57s on snare and rack toms, and the 52 for kick (I'd like to have a D6 or AKG to compare it with, though). Never really doing live sound, I prefer the regular SM series to the Beta. IMHO. I don't like that added presence and attack. I prefer body to dressings, ya know?
    A lot of people here like the Audix i5 on snare too.
    Can't have enough 57s though.

I LOVE my 414s as overheads. They can be found used for around $600-$700 a piece if you look high and low (shockmounts included - haven't had an issue in 1yr+ yet). Plus, they perform admirably on almost any other source, as you noted.

The only other thing I would add would be to look into Sennheiser 421s. Great on toms (esp floor tom), and gui cabs and male vox as well. I own two, and wish I had four.

If you follow your own, bent's and my suggestions, worst case scenario you've got a bunch of drum mics that work well on other sources.

Anyone want to buy a CAD drum mic kit? Anyone? I'll trade it for a D6 or an AKG D112...?

9. Mauisnow13

Mauisnow13 Active Member

The cradle is that sensitive eh? I'll keep that in mind. Back on subject though, any suggestions?

10. bent

Home Page:
    Hey, I resemble that... And prefer SM's myself.

11. bent

Home Page:
    Suggestion: D2 in the kick.

Ooh, yeah, Dig It!

12. Mauisnow13

Mauisnow13 Active Member

Thanks for the input. I am also thinking of going with 57's on the rack toms. Anyone have input on the D2's compared to the SM57's? Like I said, I haven't used the D2's yet, but I've read good reviews. I have however played with SM's on racks.

13. soapfloats

Home Page:
    I should note that 421s run $300+ new...

And can't help w/ the D2s. Only other mic than 421/57 I've used on toms was an AT2020 on Davedog's(?) suggestion. Nice change of pace, but more bleed being a condenser...

14. Mauisnow13

Mauisnow13 Active Member

And the SM57's are cheaper then the Beta57's, which is a plus.

15. Mauisnow13

Mauisnow13 Active Member

That's one thing that's keeping me away from them. I'm getting the new 414. Dumping a lot into that doesn't leave quite as much room for $300 tom mics.

I'm interested on opinions with the 57 vs. D2's subject

16. Mauisnow13

Mauisnow13 Active Member

Oops. Double post, my bad.

17. bent

Home Page:
    (Dead Link Removed)

18. Mauisnow13

Mauisnow13 Active Member

Nice. Time for one on toms.... *hint hint* :D

19. bent

Home Page:
    Been thinking about it.

Still haven't gotten around to guitars... Maybe someday...

20. soapfloats

Home Page:
    Don't worry Ben - I'm venturing into the mic shootout arena as a way to make sure I have the best mic on each source when I do a new project.
    I've just done it on vocals 6 times (4 for the same group), but plan to do some on toms and guitar cabs as well. Hopefully I can pick up some of the slack. I just need to improve my method a little.

Any tom mic suggestions? I've got the aforementioned 57/421/2020/414, but no Audix. A guitar shootout would include 57/421/414/Bluebird/2020/FatheadII... the other options I have would be less universal - Blue Ball, etc..

Shoutouts aren't the be-all end-all, as so many variables are involved (as both of our tests show), but I do think they can give someone an idea of how each mic generally performs on a source.