what hardware needed to control 2 differen pair of monitors?

Discussion in 'Monitoring' started by Kur, Sep 22, 2005.

  1. Kur

    Kur Guest

    Hi guys, what is a decent hardware to buy in order to control 2 different pair of speakers? I want to be able to switch back and forth those 2 pair during producing process. thanks for your help.
  2. Derm

    Derm Guest

    Mackie make such a device, if you visit their site you'll find it.Its possible to buy much cheaper switch boxes at your local Radio Shack or whatever, if thats all you need
  3. Derm

    Derm Guest

  4. Boltino

    Boltino Guest

    Get a presonus Central Station. It's more transparent than the mackie and has more features. I guess it really depends on how much you want to spend, but anything else (esp. Radio Shack stuff) will color your sound. I looked for a few months before buying my Central Station and its one of the best purchases I've made.

  5. Kur

    Kur Guest

    thank you guys. I don't have the money or either one. perhaps i settle for a less expensive for now.

    again, thanks very much.
  6. Kev

    Kev Well-Known Member

    Nov 13, 2001
    I have a project /discussion page that may give some ideas.


    obviously the more money you spend the better the quality and better the features

    two simple volume controls may help in the short term.
    you won't get a quick transition from one to the other as you will have to volume down on one then volume up on the other.

    otherwise ... a relay or changeover switch to mute system1 and system2 alternatively.
  7. iznogood

    iznogood Member

    Feb 9, 2004
    do yourself a favour.... stay away from the big knob.... the quality of the pot used is poor...
  8. TheArchitect

    TheArchitect Active Member

    Mar 26, 2005
    Leave it to mackie to bogart the good pot
  9. FifthCircle

    FifthCircle Well-Known Member

    Feb 12, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Home Page:
    You could easily do a DIY project for a ballanced switch. Switch either input A or B with a single output. Then if you want a volume switch, get an inexpensive passive attenuator like the A Designs ATTY.

    Probably could do the whole thing for a couple hours work and $150 or less.

  10. Kur

    Kur Guest

    thanks again guys.

    iznogood, did you own a big knob before or know someone does? what i got from google is that it has good reviews, from sos mag online, prorec.com and so on.

  11. jahme

    jahme Guest

    if ur smart, get an electrical engineering degree! thats what i am..im too smart and also im an audio engineer. and i own a huge studio with the mackie digital x-bus as my console. cool, eh?
  12. zemlin

    zemlin Well-Known Member

    Sep 4, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    Home Page:
    If we ignore it, maybe it will go away.
  13. Mr-Nice

    Mr-Nice Guest

    Its is also referred to as a speaker A/B switch.
  • AT5047

    The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

Share This Page