What is that vocal effect called?

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by RyanCacoph0ny, Aug 12, 2007.

  • AT5047

    The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

  1. Its that effect where the voice seems to be manipulated to play a certain melody, its used alot in techno music, especially psy-trance and goa, the most popular example I can think of is the song "Im Blue" (Da ba dee da ba dye... etc), the voice also gets a more robotic feel to it.

    My first guess was a vocoder, but in my limited experience with vocoders, it seems that vocoders have too mellow a sound to them. If it is a vocoder, could I get a basic tutorial/setting on how to make it sound more sharp?

    If its needed, I can find some clips to upload somewhere
  2. Space

    Space Well-Known Member

    Jun 26, 2007
    The "Cher effect?"

    Antares Auto-tune.

    Hey, don't take my word for it, read this:
    Recording Cher

    If I hear that sound again it will be too soon,
  3. Slice

    Slice Guest

    Ever tried just wikipedia to find it?


    Doesn't say much but it's a start...

    Just look them up and you might find what your looking for... What you're talking about is the Auto-Tuner, like Space said.

  4. Hey what do you know! I didnt know they had that pag on wikipedia. Thanks for the help guys

Share This Page