what to get... preamp or channel strip???

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by WDavidW, Dec 27, 2003.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

No I haven't heard the pendulum but judging from the construction and the reputation of the company I am reasonably sure it is good. I personally would lean towards the Quartet II as I like all the loading and transformer options..

2. WDavidW

WDavidW Guest

The available info out on the Quartet II looks like it's going to be awesome but it's also going to be priced around $5000- a little bit out of my price range.

3. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Mine too! :D That's why I always recomend the Sebatron pres... they are the least expensive, tube, all discreet, transformer loaded mic pres I have found so far. There are a lot of possibilities in what you can do to the sound with a Sebatron with the pads, deep, lo cuts, bright and air switches not to mention stacking channels for extra gain or drive. It is a vey flexible design. I have also found the Sebatron to be the best direct box I have ever used for electric guitar. It sounds very much like an old Fender Tweed Deluxe.

4. random logic

random logic Guest

hi david!

i use avalon vt737sp, 2 amek 9098,dbx160s,2 distressors w.british mode, ese mastering comp etc... in different combinations as my recording chain. if i would have to choose a best setup from above equipment i would go for amek9098 and distressor with british option. it offers many different sound settings for any kind of music or style. another option is avalon vt 737. i use avalon every day on many different recording sessions and i am always very satisfied with results. i think all the recording channels in this range are very similar -the difference is in their character and your personal taste.

5. Jonesey

Jonesey Active Member

I record similar material, Matchbox 20 sounding stuff. The pendulum quartet and the Great River pres sound totally different. If this going to be your only mic pre I would suggest the Great River. It records everything well, the DI sounds great and you can get a variety of tone shaping by using the gain and output knobs. The pendulum is an excellent vocal pre, the DI is pretty good also, but when recording electric guitars, the Great River is my go-to pre. Vocals the Pendulum.

6. TanTan

TanTan Distinguished Member

"another option is avalon vt 737. i use avalon every day on many different recording sessions and i am always very satisfied with results. i think all the recording channels in this range are very similar -the difference is in their character and your personal taste."

I own an avalon 737 and a few neve universal audio and rca preamps, as a channel strip the avalon is ok, the preamp sounds a bit wierd in comparison to the descrete transistorvintage tube pre-amps , the avalon has a serious problem with high bass and low mid, like a strange ambience on this frequency range , i mean ,the preamp is nice and quite, but is a nice preamp to use for only one or two channels in a total mix (the best woodwindflute signal chain i've ever worked with from pre amp throguh compression to eq)because it isn't that accurate and it does'nt cut through the mix, i find the compressor to be unusful most of the time (with the exception of woodwinds and sax) , but the eq is very usefull musical sweet and flexible