What's in your mic cabinet?

Discussion in 'Microphones (live or studio)' started by stickers, Nov 3, 2006.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. John Willett

John Willett Active Member

Home Page:
    OK - this is my list:-

Sennheiser
    2 x MKH 20
    2 x MKH 30
    2 x MKH 40
    2 x MKH 8020
    2 x MKH 8040
    1 x MZD 8000
    1 x set of 8000 series stand / extension tube / Y-cable
    2 x MKH 816F
    1 x MD 421
    1 x MD 423 ProfiPower
    1 x MD 441

Neumann
    2 x GFM 132
    1 x KMR 81i
    2 x KM-D
    2 x KK 183D
    2 x KK 131D
    1 x DMI-2
    2 x DMI-2P
    1 x Interface kit (special)

Microtech Gefell
    2 x M 300
    2 x M 221
    1 x UMT 70S
    1 x M 930
    + access to lots more

AKG
    1 x D 12
    1 x C452/CK1/VR1

Beyer
    2 x M 67N

Calrec
    2 x CM 2050

Maier Sound
    2 x TURTLE (boundary mic. adaptor that turns any SDC into a boundary mic)

I'm sure I have more that I have forgotten to list ...

pcrecord and DonnyThompson like this.
  2. nsureit

nsureit Active Member

0ebe3b4a-3e6a-4642-a41e-874218291e43_zpsc8jxixhb.jpg
    b13a1f83-0425-4ce0-9973-209931953d6e_zpsygupy2sj.jpg

Attached Files:

3. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    Nice nsureit !
    How different are the ISA one and the ASP880 for you ?

4. nsureit

nsureit Active Member

Until I got the ASP880, the ISA One was the only preamp I owned that had gain staging features that gave me broad and effective utilization of my ribbon microphones. The 880 gives me that ability in studio, and I take the ISA One on the road for venue recording. Like the ISA One, the Audient 880 is loaded with features, however, the ISA is way more flexible and tweakable. You should check out the specs: https://audient.com/products/mic-pres/asp880/overview/
    There are many reviews on various websites: Sound on Sound, Gearslutz, TapeOp.

I have collected some really cool preamps over the years, and still like their coloration. To accommodate their use, I got the ASP880 interface. It has 8 superb preamps and converters, but each preamp has a bypass switch (blue A-D button) that allows you to COMPLETELY bypass that particular channel and patch in your outboard gear. It is the single best new feature I've added to my studio in years.

s-l1600.jpg

Attached Files:

5. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    Thanks for the info... I ask because I already have 8 ISA preamps and ask how the 880 is different sounding and if worth adding to my collection of preamps in the future.
    I also have a 4-710 that I could sell at some point. Also I'm a gear freak and like to know where units stands from each other ;)

6. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    The ASP880 is an 8-channel non-transformer pre-amp plus an 8-channel A-D converter with 96KHz ADAT output. The pre-amps have analogue outputs, and by default feed their corresponding converter channels. However, the pre-amp outputs and the A-D inputs can be processing independent sets of balanced signals on a per-channel basis.

The Focusrite ISA range has a different sound, largely due to the input transformers. Both have their places.

I'm very impressed with the ASP880 that I have, and would urge anyone to hire or borrow one to try for a session. It's not an interface, and needs to feed ADAT inputs on some other piece of gear to get its digital outputs into a computer.

pcrecord likes this.
  7. nsureit

nsureit Active Member

True that. I run ADAT (optical) out of the ASP880 into an Audient iD22 interface, then into my laptop via USB. I run my monitors out of the iD22, as well. By the way, the iD22 will add two more mic or line input channels, giving you ten total IOs.

imgext.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmedias.audiofanzine.com%2Fimages%2Fnormal%2F697887.jpg
    audient-id22-3.jpg

iD22ASP880-1955x720-1.png

8. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    I never fully understood why Audient only put one ADAT input port on the iD22, but it may have been for USB data rate reasons. The ADAT can be set to use S/MUX protocol to give 88.1 and 96KHz sampling, but at these higher rates can take data from only 4 of the 8 channels on the ASP880.

I thought the converters in my Alesis HD24XRs were pretty good at 96KHz, especially after I carried out the standard low-end circuit improvements, but the ASP880 is in a different league.

pcrecord likes this.
  9. nsureit

nsureit Active Member

I just configured the ADAT as S/MUX. Have not had a chance to make comparisons yet between sample/bit rates. I had forgotten about that feature until you pointed it out.

10. Digtlartst

Digtlartst Active Member

Home Page:
    I've been through a lot of mics but now down to my personal favorites for acoustic guitar, vocals, electric guitar, viola, percussion, various horns, and drums:

Neumann KM84
    Neumann KM83
    Neumann U89
    Neumann U87ai
    Royer R-121
    Gefell M296
    Gefell M300
    Rode NT5 pair (card and omni)

11. Lincoln Blake

Lincoln Blake Active Member

Favourite mics in locker.1.Flea 47...Neumann U47 Vintage,Telefunken ela m251,Neumann m50,Neumann u67,Flea49, Audio Technica 5040,Sony c800,Bock 251,Neumann u67’s Vintage,1980 Shure SM58’s,1983 AKG 414’s,& Voxorama 47 these now belong to my brilliant singer/songwriter/guitarist/activist/helper of the those in need/dual Masters degrees earned/athlete/ex-model(thankfully)just a lovely human boy-Well done you,My Son Stewart.Conveniently also a lefty axe player as so my very old Strat is bk in use.Love the new Gibson SJ200&PRS Custom 24 10top guitars he’s using as well.The Gibson es335 is bk in action on his new recordings as well.Forgot to thank Universal Audio for the lovely 8p interface.As analogue as I profess to be & was proud of this machine makes things so easy.Although held on to the Trident&Midas desks along with the other gear I depended on.BSS,old Klark Teknik gear,TC Electronic,Crown&QSC tour amps,JBL vintage and elderly subs through 075’s have had to take the backseat to lovely ATC monitors(highly recommended)Cheers

Attached Files:

12. Lincoln Blake

I have vintage U47,U67,U87.Is the newer U87ai consistently brilliant as the original u87?And give Flea47 a listen.Vintage King will send certain mics for a listen.I have 2 Flea47s as well as a Voxorama 47.All Andreas Grosser tubes & they all sounded better than ‘57 u47 so I am having it reskinned as well as adding a Grosser VF14 tube.Cheers

13. Lincoln Blake

Hello mate, I am thrilled with Universal Audio 8p interface but I do use my 610 pre or Alalon 737 hardware pre’s as well as Neve and Trident hard pre’s.A bit tastier than the plugins unless I spend time setting the plugins up with the perfect match.My hard Fairchild and LA-2A are brilliant but I’ve used the exact plugins with no discernible drop off.If I play a gig and have ample time I still use analogue gear including my top compressors.I love setting up a pure analogue p.a. when I’ve time.It’s lovely

14. Lincoln Blake

Wholly cats I forgot my favourite stage handheld mics.I use two on vocals consistently.Audio Technica AE 5400’s and Neumann kms 105’s.In my wild youth I stole from Daltry and taped my cord and my SM-58’s because they were so bloody dependable.Never used condenser mics in the ‘90’s.Now,due to expertise & knowing to avoid feedback the AT AE5400 is it and lovely as well is Neumann kms 105.I can hear every syllable and lovely dynamic from the condensers vs my old SM58s.My Son is preferring Shure Beta but his beautiful voice would sound fine through any mic live.In studio it’s Flea47 for vocals AMS RMX 16 hard over Lexicon 224 hard for most.Although his album will have Neumann m50,Flea49, Along with Flea47Vintage and Neumann U47 Vintage as well on vocals.His picking on his Gibson SJ200 sounds amazing through AKG414,U67 and the Miktek CV4 has a sweet vibe.The Telefunken (AKG)Ela M251 60’s version will get some play too(IDK why the current version of Telefunken 251 or Neumann U’s are so dreadful compared to 50’s and 60’s Vintage but it’s a fact.Ivan and the Lads at Flea have managed the Vintage U47 sound for amazing prices.Their Flea49 is spot on Neumann m49 and 50.I dig it betta.).Every mic whether it’s an exact brand&# has a slight different colour as you all know.Cheers musicians&producers.

15. Lincoln Blake

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed