Which Is the best mixer for poor people: ME

Discussion in 'Consoles / Control Surfaces' started by BydLo, Oct 10, 2003.

1. BydLo

BydLo Guest

Hi, i have got a Mackie 12vlz mixer (it is not mine I have to give it back) and I need to record acoustic instrument Trhough a Rode Condenser Mic into an a Pro pc sound card,
    Do you know a cheap but good mixer with not much channels but really good Phantom power and Mic Preamps, Or it is better (to the sound) to buy a good Mic Preamp and plug it in to the Pc.
    Please tell me the prices of the mixers of preamps you know, I am talking of 400 dollars as a max price... i know is not much... but is the best I can do: John Elton.

2. tim husmann

tim husmann Guest

I would reccomend buying a 1-2 channel preamp. Most preamps on mixers aren't that hot. I am very pleased with the RNP (made by FMR) which I purchased for $450 off ebay. It has 2 channels and class A circuitry. Were you planning to spend $400 max per item or was that total? If so, you might want to check out the Presonus single channel pre ($100-$150). I've never tried it, so I can't speak for its quality. As for mixers, I would look for an old tascam console (maybe the M-308). You could probably pick it up for about $200. Hope this helps...

3. launchpad67a

launchpad67a Guest

If you can only spend that amount of money. Save another $100 (total of $500) and buy a Mackie. They are best,low priced mixers on the market. Do Not buy a Behringer, their preamps are terrible. The Mackie pre's are 100 times better, for just another 100 dollars!.

You may see that you can get a Behringer 16 channel board for $400. As compared to a Mackie 12 channel for $600. There is a reason for that, they are not good. Save some money and get something good.
    Just my thoughts.

Mike

4. JeffWebb

JeffWebb Guest

I recently purchased a Yamaha MG 16/4 to use for live work and also in the studio. It gives me 10 mono xlr/or 1/4" inputs with phantom power. It has real good silent pre's for a mixer and it's only $300 list.
    I am pleased with it's performance.
    It is an analog mixer. Money better spent than on a Behringer mixer which has real noisey pre's, terrible cross noise, and harsh on the gain.
    I'm also a financially challenged individual, so I did a lot of research before I bought this.
    I've tried the Presonus Blue-tube pre-amp and I really didn't like it. It has a lot of distorted noise. A friend of mine got a DMP3 (I think that's what it was) and it is a very good inexpensive pre-amp that allows you to boost a lot of gain without any noise. It was under $200 and at that price it is wonderful.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed