1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X4!
    Dismiss Notice

Wishy washy cymbals

Discussion in 'Rides / Cymbals' started by McCheese, Jul 11, 2005.

1. tedcrop

tedcrop Guest

If you hit cymbals hard enough to break them while recording your recording will never sound good in my opinion.

Try taking the cymbal by itself and hitting it and recording it. When you listen to it back you will see how hard it needs to be hit. Most pros barely hit the cymbals when they record.

2. DAWPRO

DAWPRO Active Member

Egg-Xactly! :wink:

3. frob

frob Well-Known Member

what is you average cybal life? my drummer uses zijian Ks and has had them 7-8 years the only thing he has gone thru is a couple or rides.

i use 1920s zij ride and hihats, they have lasted longer than ive been around and i intend to keep them.

4. took-the-red-pill

took-the-red-pill Active Member

Home Page:
    What about this?

Let's say the cymbal gets nailed, it emits sound and begins to sway. The sound wave goes up to the ceiling and bounces back to the cymbal. The cymbal, as it sways, has a point where it is in perfect line to take the sound wave from the ceiling and direct it right into the mic. So it's going ooh wah ooh wah.

Is that possible???

This is interesting stuff. Please let us know what you find out once you solve the problem.

Cheers
    Keith

5. I always tell my drummers to hit the white (or clear) things hard and the shiny things soft.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed