1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X5!
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha 02R96 DSP7-ATSC error & bugs

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Electronic Repair Modifications DIY' started by Elias Bergam, May 15, 2020.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. Elias Bergam

Elias Bergam Active Member

Hey guys,

For some time, my 02R96V2 in v2.4 have bugs. Error message "ASSERT File sed1330s.c. Line 397" Everything is frozen and all I have to do is reboot..
    From time to time, it also freezes on the FLASH UPDATE menu "Waiting data ..." without any particular action, at boot or in use. In short, the situation becomes critical.

After a hard reset, I launched the check program (display + AUX4) to make a diag, everything is ok except 9: SIO CONNECTION ATSC-> DSP7

DSP7 NG.jpg

Can't find informations on the subject, on these error codes, so I don't know where to locate the problem precisely or if it's serious and especially if it's related to freezes.
    Strangely, I never had any worries except since I flashed the firmware 3 months ago.
    Coincidence ? In any case I can't longer downgrade to v2.33 to check.

Here, all the repairers are closed with Covid's containment measures.
    If anyone has an idea about this diag or other manipulations, I am interested. For now, I have checked the power supply, the capacitors and the internal cables. I took a look at the diagrams but without interpretation of the error codes or other information, difficult to advance in research.

Is anyone could make a diag of dsp7 to see result on another table ? It would allow us to see the differences.

Any help will be welcome, thanks.

Elias

2. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Tricky one, Elias. I have never had to service an 02R96, but I did have a similar problem on my old 01V96, which turned out to be a dry solder joint on one of the DSP pins on the main board. I found that fault by very slightly flexing the boards one by one.

I know the approved Yamaha service agents have full diagnostic capabilities, so it may be a matter of taking it for repair once the lockdown finishes. The service manual for the 01V96 has screen pictures of diagnostic steps that I have never been able to get to appear on the actual mixer screen. I can believe that the same would be true of the 02R96.

audiokid and kmetal like this.
  3. Elias Bergam

Hi Boswell, thanks for your answer !

Yes, it could be a dry solder joint. I could try to use my hot air soldering station on IC602 and ICB06,7,8.
    The service manual is easy to find on the web. The pages that relate to my problem are : part 1 -> 57,60, 155, 156, part 2 -> 29, 33.
    DSP7 p155.png DSP7 p156.png
    I think I've understood the error codes of screen diag about SI29 to 31 and SI44 to 47 of ICB06/07/08.
    On page 57, it correspond to ICB07,8,9's pins 100,101,102,119,10,121,122 (CI AUX 1->12 and CIBUS 1->8 + CISM/SL).
    ICB p57.jpg
    So by deduction, on page 60, the 6 pins corresponding on IC602 are 77, 79, 103, 105, 132, 134 (Port B, C, D audio data output SO0 and SO2).

There's no component between IC602 and the 3 ICB so I've tested the 6 connections and everything is ok, no dry solder joint :(
    IC602 p29.jpg ICBxx p33.jpg
    I could try to invert IC601 and IC602 and make another diag but perharps the problem could be before IC602. I'm going to think about all this and try your method by flexing the boards one by one.

Thanks and to be continued...

Elias

4. Elias Bergam

Unusable... 20 minutes between two crashs :( R.I.P 02R96 +-

02r96 Crash.jpg

kmetal likes this.
  5. SKULL

SKULL Active Member

I own a Yamaha DM2000VCM and get similar errors.

However, during actual usage, I find no problems with the board. It doesn't freeze and everything seems to be working perfectly.

I'm thinking that perhaps in order to pass the test, I have to connect the necessary cables for the test bench, according to the service manual.

I think that, because in the service manual of the 01v96 it states that:
    1-5. DSP7, SIO, and ATSC2 tests
    Contents: Read/Write the register of each DSP6
    and DSP7 and check whether the Data
    Bus and Address Bus are good or bad.
    Read/Write the DRAM and SDRAM of
    each DSP6 and DSP7 via the registers
    and compare and check.
    Check the SIO connection between each
    DSP and between the ATSC by the Send/
    Receive signal.
    If the ADAT cable is not connected during
    the DSP7, SIO, and ATSC2 tests, NG is
    displayed.

Therefore, I think that the freezes that you experience have a different cause.

Attached Files:

6. Elias Bergam

Hello Skull,
    Thank you for your message and sorry for the late response.
    I took the time to redo all the diagnoses.
    I have carefully looked at the technical documentation, it's not specified to link the ADAT outputs / inputs to do the tests but...
    I think you're right. So I still tried to plug ADAT I/O without much result.

Also, I listened to your advice and I focused on the CPU board. I've decided to do the exchange by a new CPU board. By the way, I recovered the VCM effects :) and since I have no bug or freeze ! Yes !!!

Everything is in order. The SIO ATSC / DSP7 is still NG. There's surely a manipulation to do side wiring but I have'nt found. No problem, I can work again and that's the most important for me.

Anyway thank you very much because your advice allowed me to solve the problem.

Best Regards

Fred

7. SKULL

SKULL Active Member

I'm glad I could help in a small way.

I will still try to fix our common error and let you know if I'm successful or not, even though I do not expect to try before the winter.

My best option would be to replace the DSP board, but I haven't been able to find a reasonably priced used one (or unreasonably for that matter...)

However since both me and my technician like to tinker, we will probably try to fix it ourselves.

Anyway, I'm glad your 02v96 is still kicking!

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed