You pick the mic

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by TheArchitect, Jun 10, 2005.

Tags:
  1. TheArchitect

TheArchitect Active Member

What mic would you pick to capture a breathy, inimate vocal performance ala Dianna Krall. The budget is $1k and for this excercise assume you have a preamp and monitors that are up to the task.

2. impro

impro Guest

kms 105 was used live...
    U87 - studio but if you by TLM 103 would be prety much the same...

3. John Stafford

John Stafford Well-Known Member

She uses (or at least has used) the Neumann M-147 in the studio for that breathiness. I'm not really sure if I would use the U87 in that situation, because the upper part can clash with some voices, and the breathiness can sound very strange. I suppose that's true for most mics -depends on the singer.

Cheers
    John Stafford

4. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

I recently recorded a singer very similar to her. I had fits until I tried an Audio-Technica AT4047 on her. Can't say enough good things about that mic. And I bought it from Full Compass at a great deal. Smashes the other "under $500" mics I have tried in that situation.

5. John Stafford

John Stafford Well-Known Member

Moonbaby
    I have an AT4047, and I'm not surprised by what you say. It has a sort of gaininess and adds a certain texture (at least in my experience) that is great for that sort of voice. The AT4060 is also a wonderful mic. Any breathiness in the voice comes out the other end sounding wonderfully expensive. BTW I think the same goes for the Oktava tubes that really exaggerate their tubiness. If it works it's great, but if not it can sound really cheap -I've still managed to get some wonderful vocals with one though :wink: I would say that the ATs are of a much higher quality and great for general use. I love AT!

Hey AT if you're reading -when are you going to give us a multi-pattern 4060 or 4047?

John Stafford

6. Antho

Antho Guest

Sorry to jack the thread...

But having not used many AT mics before ( but having used many good mics at work of other brands) , and currently looking for a cheaper all round condenser for use in the home studes...

how would you guys rate these AT's you speak of to a Studio Projects c3 as an all rounder? Which would be more suitable for pop? For 'world' music? and for rap/hip hop? Baring in mind these will often be used with cheaper preamps...

Many thanks.

7. mikE@THECAVE

mikE@THECAVE Guest

Blue Bluueberry

8. Matt_Trix

Matt_Trix Guest

Rode Classic II

It's incredible. I use it through a fairly transparent pre (basically a DM2000 pre) and the sound is lush. Tracking the female singer I'm currently working with the breathy-ness is so real it's scary.

I don't have any of the Audio Technica or Neumann mics to compare it to but I'm hunting for new mics now so I'll do some comparisons.

Matt.