Skip to main content

my price range is around $700-$800 and i am looking for either of these or any mic in this price range used. i run a small home studio right now in my home and i am looking to finally step into the world of owning a good large diaphragm mic for vocals. i use a KSM32 right now and i personally think its too multi-functional for really good vocals. which of the 2 that i listed or any other vocal condenser would you recommend? i am also looking to purchase a good mic preamp that is designed with vocals as the primary use. i have a Focusrite twintrak now and it is decent but i am just looking to take small steps now to making a good quality studio. price range for the mic preamp is around $500. thanks and i know i talk to much...

Comments

RemyRAD Tue, 03/14/2006 - 18:19

I think you're slightly misguided? " Multi-functional"?? If that did not make for a good vocal microphone then nobody would have ever used the Neumann U67/87 or the AKG C12/414 and a whole lot others.

If you want a classic sounding large diaphragm condenser then perhaps the AKG 414 TL II might be the way for you to go? But then it is multifunctional. If that makes you dysfunctional, then maybe their fixed pattern large diaphragm condenser microphone will get you that same sound without that dysfunctional multifunctional feature? But maybe you want to go with that dysfunctional " Howard Stern" microphone the Neumann TLM103, which is a single pattern, transformer less dysfunctional version of the multifunctional U87?

Multi-functional dysfunctional engineer
Ms. Remy Ann David

dennisisme Tue, 03/14/2006 - 21:44

ok maybe i didnt explain well...i use the ksm32 on stuff like overheads, acoustics, sometimes guitars. i would actually like a seperate vocal mic in the pricerange of 700 to 800 dollars that i will mainly use for vocals. im not happy with the way the vocals sound with a ksm32...not enough body to the vocals. mabe thats a preamp or production problem but i would like another mic for just vocals.

anonymous Wed, 03/15/2006 - 04:11

hey there!

If you are looking for a mic that adds body and color to the singers voice you might take a look at the AKG solidtube. Sounds very rich in the low-mids on male voices, especially in conjunction with the proximity effect. Could be out of the price range though but I'm not sure on that.

Cheers from Germany ;-)

moonbaby Wed, 03/15/2006 - 04:31

The TLM103 has the character of a dead fish. No pizzazz. Maybe that's why it takes someone like Howie Stern to make it decent (after all of his INdecencies!). I ditched mine for another A-T AT4047 and am very glad that I did.
There are a LOT of K2 fans out there, including moderators like Maintiger.
Research this site and see what he has said. And the C414 is probably the ONLY AKG that is under $2K that is decent, IMHO.

RemyRAD Wed, 03/15/2006 - 10:31

The oldest transistor versions of the 414, called the P48 has a capsule similar to the original C12. The newer ones like the 414B-ULS has a slightly different capsule and electronics that provides a flatter more linear response. The recent TL II has a capsule more reminiscent of the earlier version, with its built-in coloration that hypes the mid range and high-end. The quintessential vocal microphone. I don't have one of those microphones but it's on my list for the future. Of course if you want a snobby microphone try the newer AKG Solitube, they are supposed to be excellent for vocals in a modern kind of way.

Remember Austria is where Mozart is from
Ms. Remy Ann David

maintiger Wed, 03/15/2006 - 13:59

You can't go wrong with the k2 for vox- the price is right and it sounds great on male and female vox- for male in your face try cardioid or omni 11 am- for female vox I like it around omni 9am- tames the shrill real well. for vo's do about 3- 5 pm -towards figure 8- plus If you get a second k2 they will make great stereo percussion mics- forge'em for acoustic guitar though- get something else for that :D