Skip to main content

I have recently heard my AKG3000 on different ART preamps (Pro Channel, and the new digital dual channel pre) and I was very suprised. I have doubted my reasons for buying this mic and yet these two preamps elevated a 300.00 mic to a 700.00 brand.
I own a AT4060 that does not excite me as I feel it should. Does anyone have any first hand experience on preamps that will wake it up. I truly expect to be looking at higher end pre's for this mic but would like to keep it in the ballpark of a project studio. Should I be looking at clean or colored preamps?
Thanks for your input. .

Topic Tags

Comments

AudioGaff Tue, 12/30/2003 - 18:07

The AT4060 is not like other mics that have more of a hyped or rising high end curve. It is a more balanced and mellow type of mic. I've gotten great results with mine using Focusrite Red, AMEK/NEVE CIB, Neotek MicMAX, API 512, Joe Meek VC1Qcs, Vintech X81, dbx 786, Manley tube pre, Langevin/Manley discreete pre and once with a Mackie 12102VLZ.

Guest Wed, 12/31/2003 - 07:06

I've been liking my 4060 into a Great River MP-2. It has worked well into my Neve 1272's as well. In fact, I don't think the 4060 really cares about what preamp it drives. Watch out for proximity effect with it...as it seems really easy to get excesive low freq with close micing on this mic (more so than say a U87 in cardiod).

The 4060 is a truly underrated and underappreciated mic...it takes to EQ well, so if you're not getting enough sparkle out of it, try a shelf boost around 12k or so, or bell boost around 15k.

Cheers,

Kris

anonymous Sun, 01/04/2004 - 17:33

You can get good results with the Grace 101 and the AT4060 {vox dependant of course}..The Grace is a little too abrupt/hard compared to the Great River..But if you can't do good work{vocals}with the Grace then you ain't trying hard enough IMHO..Now if you are getting a Grace..instead of already owning one I would suggest the Great River as its more versitile IMO..Good luck

Hack Tue, 01/06/2004 - 03:41

the 4060 does have a proximity thing. I got it a little too close to the f hole on an upright bass not long ago and I am amazed at the amount of low end I am rolling off, and cutting and still hearing freqs all the way down. I got it now, i think, but I would've never guess it would take this much. But dont get me wrong, I love the mic. I have used it on all kinds of things, and things your not suppose too, and it rocks.

AudioGaff Wed, 01/07/2004 - 05:52

Originally posted by bgavin:
The end result coloration must be significant when combining the AT4060 with a colored preamp like a Neve.

It could be. Depends on the source, how you use the mic, how you use the Neve type mic pre, how you eq and process the audio from the mic, how many tracks of that combo you are working with.

Is the trick not to accumulate multi-track coloration, but to use the AT4060/Neve for a single vocal track?

That depends on the sonic goals that should be followed from proper preproduction planning. The 4060/Neve combo with a specific vocal may be the ultimate best thing for one song and be so very wrong for another. That combo can sound great by it's self, but may not fit or can be completely out of context with how all the other music was recorded. The trick is to have the full indepth knowledge and experience in using all of your gear so that you are able to use that info as one part of your preproduction plan. And of course like any other plan, that plan can and is likely to change as you go along but is always much better than starting off blind and just trying to wing it...

x

User login